.300 cal bullet head for all species

Double four

Looking for advice on a .300 Heavy bullet head for all deer species, im about to start loading for my ultra mag with listed american data with the same barrel length of 26" and powder rl25 it gives a 200gn projectile driven at around 3150fps 180gn around 3250fps 150gn just short of 3400fps and 125gn over 3600fps.

Im not going to bother with the latter two and concentrate on the 180's up, the rifle was bought firstly for big reds and maybe a bit of long range targeting and hopefully get a load that would be effective on the occasional roe if one appears without a lot of carcass damage.
Went for a h/b sedero vs11 which has a fair bit of weight with a t8 magnum mod and by the time the rail scope bipod etc it should have tamed the recoil considerably (i hope )
I got talking to a lad who uses this cal along with his mates for long distance reds over clear fell or the edge of forrestry mainly on an evening where they want them dead on the spot.
Thier bullet of choice was berger vld's but when he showed me some pics there was too much damage for me, some of the exits were 6" + ! no doubt the beasts were instantly dead but it looked a bit excessive.

My theory for what its worth was to get a really strong and heavy something bonded or big game head that would give me plenty of penertration to shoulder shoot the largest of reds and maybe not get as much expansion on smaller deer at these high velocitys but enough to clean kill without excessive damage.
What do you think would such a hard bullet head just needle through a roe and not expand enough for a clean kill ?
The only information i can find for terminal effects with the rum is for whitetails which are a fair bit bigger than our roe so any sound information would be helpful especially from anyone that uses a rum or simmilar . DF

180 grain Horny SST, you will certainly find mag performance with these bullets is stunning

ps:
I use the 150gr sst's in my .308 on fox, roe, sika, and reds and in every respect the performance is great. Always punches through reds and the extra 30 grains of material at higher velocity will own any deer species here or over the water.

I would slow the bullet to 3000 fps though for a smoother shot and optimum performance at normal ranges.

Last edited:
Makes good reading somene else posted it on the site before i think, looking at that i dont think sst's b tips normal hunting bullets are going to be much use close due to the velocity.

As i thought premium bullets are probably the way forward for me . i can always try it on roe i would have thought there are plenty of roe shot with hard premium bullets out of .300win mags 7mmrem mags 30-06 .308 etc ? never used them myself in the .308 only b tips and sst's and sako hammerheads i think they called them. DF

Last edited:
I don't know if this helps you but...

I've been shooting Nosler Partitions in my 308Win and have found that the front core seems to offer quite rapid expansion within the deer (sika) while the rear core always exits leaving a reasonable sized (i.e. 1 - 2 inches) exit hole. So far, based on limited experience, it is the only bullet I've used that will put a significant proportion of chest shot sika down where they stand. They usually run at least 50 yards.

I believe they make them in the heavier weights and in view of their "dual function" design they might just do you job if the heavier ones are constructed in a similar manner to the 150 grain ones.

+1 for Caorach

I have used 180gr and 200gr from muntjac up to plains game.
This link should illustrate what Caorach is talking about:

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10782&d=1323046131

These are 180 partitions that were pulled out of a bule wildebeest. The middle bullet was recovered from the right side of the animal, in the skin just about 6-8 inches behind the rib cage, having entered through the front left shoulder. It was shot from a 30-06 at about 2700fps and as you can see it has performed as described above.

If i were you i would certainly try the 200gr partitions, I know this is just an opionion, but i hope it helps.

Regards

Mike

Last edited:
Bob only 2 projectiles i would load and use in your .300 ( 1 ) Nosler Partition ( 2 ) Lapua Mega both ive used to shoot a goodly few Deer with in my .300 Win- Mag both on Muntjac Roe ( rib shot) done far far less damage than a Factory .243 as for your Red's the ones i am shooting are also BIG so far all the rib shot ones i have shot totterd a bit tried to walk then down also ( wait for incomimg ) if you are worried about your Reds running on both those projectile will exit both shoulders and placed right will drop them on the spot :D :thumb:

Have you considered these:-

Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip

Hunting

Legendary Ballistic Tip Performance
Lubalox Exterior Coating
Defining Silver Polymer Tip
Non-Moly Coating Which Allows More Shots Between Cleaning

.30/.308 Cal 168 grains.

The 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip is designed for larger species such and Wapiti (Elk). I witnessed a Whitetail Buck shot with a Sako L61R in .300 Win mag using this 180 Grain ballistic Tip at a range of less than 80 yards and there was no excessive damage.

Funny you should say that Boyd I had just nipped up the road to the local gunshop shop to get some more reloader 25 and some 200gn partitions,
he only had accubonds and 220 partitions and no powder. rang another gunshop nr barnsley they had neither too.
Sounds the way to go, how fast are your loads doing ie 180s out of the win mag ? and is that chronod out of a 26" tube or from the manual ?
I would have thought the rum would be about the same with 200gn as the win mag is with 180s or near abouts.

Anyone know who stocks rl25 and 200gn partitions in the yorkshire area or near abouts ? im off stalking in scotland nxt week might be able to pick some up from bushware or in the lothian area if anyone can recommend any shops . DF

If your serious about shooting long range you want a projectile (head you get from the wife) with a high BC to reduce wind drift. The accubond has a better BC than the partition and is also a stiffer jacketed bullet. It will be great in the .300 RUM. Accubonds are the favoured long range bullet for the 7 mm and .300 mags down here for deer hunting. Use these for ranges out to 500 m. Past 500 as the velocity drops they do not open up as well so look to finding a SST, BT or A max offering that will shoot close to the same POI and you will need to work out how to move between drop sheets. For more info look at a forum called NZ hunt and fish in the long range section for more info on all of these areas.

I've used Nosler 180 BT with Reloader 19 for targets and roe and red deer @ 3000 fps with very good results , in fact a very smooth round loaded to mag length .
The other powder I use is 4831sc with SMK also @ 3000 fps very accurate , the other round I have thought about is the 208 Amax as a one for all rounds but then there are Bergers out now that read up very good .

The LRH site has a lot of info for the big 30 cals but the old adage of not fixing what ain't broke comes to mind .

ATB

Mountainstalker thanks for the tip i will have to remind the wife :lol:
Not too serious about the long range stuff especially on live animals, it was just an afterthought id like to try as i hear the rum is quite good for this and it would be for a bit of fun but thanks for the long range info anyway.

The rum was bought for a certain job i could have well got away with something less powerfull in .300mag but just fancied the ultra , My area is unlike the wide open spaces of australia the longest shot would be well inside 300m more like 200m on stags im in a tight spot right up to a nature reserve and runners are not an option so through the shoulders it will have to be, just thought the rum would do that and have plenty in reserve. with the option for long ranging if ever required.

Like Stalkerboydy says the partition would probably suit me well and he can understand my problem, ample penertration to drive through the shoulders of the biggest stag and just enough expansion for our smaller deer without needling trough if one happens to come along while im out with it. DF

You could hunt the world with a fast .300 and 200gr Nosler Accubond. Easy opening tip for smaller species, high SD and bonded core for bone breaking deep penetration on larger species and a .580+BC for far off species! What more could you ask for?

I did look at the accubond but iv been told that they have a tendancy to expand more than the partitions , Jabalihunter do you have first hand knowledge of the accubonds and use them ? thanks DF

Bob i shot 300+ Deer using 200gr Nosler Partion @ 3000fps with a 23.5 inch barrel when i first loaded my .300. The first being a CWD at approx 150-180 yrd angling away shot entry in aprox 4 " back from front leg exited through far shoulder exit hole aprox 3/4-1". just a thought ANY projectile you need order pay for them and have them sent to your local RFD !!!! the powder i use in my .300 is H4831 with a Fed Gold Match Large Mag primer as im sure you have already found once you have a load that suits YOUR needs STICK to it Bob and dont go chassing your butt as ( and this includes ME) WE all have our pet loads gun's ideas etc Good luck and sure you will not be dissapointed when your .300 is running sweet Try to remember FAST soft projectile Lots of Damage well constructed (hard ) projectile @ 3000 fps you wil be :D :thumb:

Back