Why does Deer Stalking make people so greedy about ground?

There's a finite amount of land (in reality its diminishing, due to development etc) and an increasing number of people interested in stalking. By having control of an area (the larger the better), the more you can properly manage the deer.

It's not only deer stalkers, Pigeon shooters are just the same. some people respect the fact that land is being shot by somebody else - but there are those that scavange land, but cannot manage it

i know people that have got ground to shoot on and they don't shoot it and you ask them and the land owner say's no

It`s the same with ALL hunting permissions.

But stalking can really bring out the greed in some individuals. Money, greed and stalking go hand in hand

Same with cars as well. All those greedy folk driving cars around alone when they have 3 or 4 empty seats going spare.

i also find it hard to learn from people all i ask is to come along and learn with out a gun and alot of the time the answer is no but i have learnt alot from a gamekeeper and hope to learn alot more :D

i also find it hard to learn from people all i ask is to come along and learn with out a gun and alot of the time the answer is no but i have learnt alot from a gamekeeper and hope to learn alot more :D

Hi Chris,

You are more than welcome to come down and accompany some of our guys in Hampshire. You will learn a great deal, and I'll make sure you get some good experience in the field. Let me know if you wish to take up the offer.

Regards,

The feckers who take me to the fair are the lads who have a bit of ground for free, or very little, and then come on here full of righteous indignation because some local lad gets the nod to go onto the land for a shot. In most cases they are not even being asked to quit, just some other guy gets the OK from the owner.

The new guy then gets slagged of as some sort of carpetbagger. Get a life.

"Manage the deer"? What a bag of sh1te.

Last edited:
How do you mean properly manage the deer? :-|

Talking about roe, I would say its quite difficult to properly study the behavior and movement of solitary deer and family groups throughout the year if you don't have a sizeable amount of land to follow them on. You are also limited with the data you can collect if you only have a small area. Once you are managing an area that can sustain 60 or so roe you might be culling 30 or more (area dependant) of them every year and you can keep data such as weights, health of internal organs, fecundity rate in the doe's. This and and evidence you might gather on natural mortality will help you plan next years cull. You can also estimate a number unseen based on the holding capacity and your census work.

I doubt very much whether many recreational stalkers with land go to this much effort though. I would be interested to hear if you do.

if you had a chance to take on an area to properly manage the deer what size area do you think you would be able to manage?

Thanks

if you had a chance to take on an area to properly manage the deer what size area do you think you would be able to manage?

Thanks

Depends entirely on what the make up of the habitat was. If it was all arable farmland then you would need far more than if it was all native woodland and meadows. If it was a mixture of both maybe 1000 acres? But it is a very subjective question and also differs from species to species and how you intend to go about 'managing' them.

Thats the same sort of figure that i came up with, but it does beg the question why do some so called pro stalkers require 10s of thousand acre they cannot work it effectively! why can they not learn to share?

Depends entirely on what the make up of the habitat was. If it was all arable farmland then you would need far more than if it was all native woodland and meadows. If it was a mixture of both maybe 1000 acres? But it is a very subjective question and also differs from species to species and how you intend to go about 'managing' them.

It would very much depend on the species involved too, and also what the owner objective was. If it were Roe and Muntjac, then you might have limited influence on 1000 Acres. If it were Fallow or Red, then I'd say you might have a chance of controlling them, but little chance of any structured management. A herd of Fallow can cross 1000 acres in about 3 minutes, and be on somebody else's land before you know it. Control? Perhaps! ... Management? probably not!

It would very much depend on the species involved too, and also what the owner objective was. If it were Roe and Muntjac, then you might have limited influence on 1000 Acres. If it were Fallow or Red, then I'd say you might have a chance of controlling them, but little chance of any structured management. A herd of Fallow can cross 1000 acres in about 3 minutes, and be on somebody else's land before you know it. Control? Perhaps! ... Management? probably not!

+1

I know of a radio collar project that tracked a heard of Sika over 25 miles in a night ! I wouldn't like to guess the acreage for their range.

too me its like this , it takes a lot of time ,effort and bloody hard work to get the trust and backing of the farmer, along with having ground with deer on it, to have someone side up and think they can just muscle in

Home Loader that depends on how much time you can spend on it, it also depends on species and what the grounds like not all ground will hold the same numbers, if you have a job to do and family commitments and can only get on your ground at weekends then you can't manage very much of an area, its not to bad at this time of year as most can manage out of an evening when its light late, but consider the winter when the days are short when it comes to proper management its the culling of females thats important as thats what regulates your population.

Maybe in a job where you work shifts you could manage a bit more ground than someone with a normal nine till five.

As I do it for a living I can manage many thousands of acres, but nobody could really do that and an other job.

Sorry not to give you a straight answer but its dependent on how much time individual can devote to it.

Thats the same sort of figure that i came up with, but it does beg the question why do some so called pro stalkers require 10s of thousand acre they cannot work it effectively! why can they not learn to share?

Home Loader why do you think we can't work it effectively? reasons please.

Back