Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullet swaging dies

Bullet swaging dies

Have completed the following .224 swaging set;

Makes a nice 55 grain bullet using rimfire jackets.

What press will you be using them in Joe? I take it that it that there was more than a few hours work involved in producing these but the satisfaction in using them will be greater than if you had simply bought the rather costly corbin dies.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

They fit the Corbin S press.

You disapoint me now Joe because I would have expected a man with your obvious engineering skills to have made his own press or at the very least to have uprated something like a rockchucker.
    It will be interesting to hear how you get on with the jacketed swaged bullets that you produce. The idea has always appealed to me but the cost of the equipment involved has put me off. I've also read differing views as to the quality of bullets produced.
    Last edited by 8x57; 06-05-2012 at 07:31.

Sadly swaging presses do seem to be very expensive............................. I looked at the Nalan more than once but could not justify the cost to myself. it would have made feeding the 9.3x57 easier what with the stupid expanding ammunition farce we have when the Husqvarna was allowed to be shot that is.

My investigation was also based on sourcing 9.3mm bullets, but like you say even the Nalan put me off because of the cost involved. I now have a mold and cast practise bullets for my 9.3x74r but that was a bit of a palaver getting a Lee type sizing die but I got it sorted in the end.

Well at a Bisley show quite a few years back I found a couple of Lyman moulds laying on a table:-

35875 & 35897

The 35875 is a plain base flat nose design of 200-210 grains whilst the 35897 is a gas Checked tapered nose design for a heavier bullet of 225-232 grains depending upon alloy so I later discovered.

Well I brought them with the idea of paper patching for use in the 9x3x57. The idea is sound it seems but my old Husqvarna has very deep rifling with a groove diameter of around 0.370" so it was going to be a challenge......................................... ............................. then I moved counties and the stupidity started and the 9.3x57 was then relegated to no shooting collection only so everythign came to a grinding halt on the idea.

Impressive,

I looked into buying some swaging dies from Nieme several years ago for forming 6.5 and 7 mm bullets, the cost was prohibitive as a set for each calibre came to just short of $10000,,,,,,,would love to see how your swaged bullets perform.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    My investigation was also based on sourcing 9.3mm bullets, but like you say even the Nalan put me off because of the cost involved. I now have a mold and cast practise bullets for my 9.3x74r but that was a bit of a palaver getting a Lee type sizing die but I got it sorted in the end.
    Your silly laws! I think I mentioned that Lee will sell you a push through sizer for your 9.3 with a special throat so that you can resize .375 bullets to .366 inches. All you need to do it tell them what you have planned and they will make the correct lead-in to perform the swaging operation.

4D company in the US sells dies for bullet swaging that will work in a standard reloading press.

Good looking gear, Joe!~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    You disapoint me now Joe because I would have expected a man with your obvious engineering skills to have made his own press or at the very least to have uprated something like a rockchucker.
    It will be interesting to hear how you get on with the jacketed swaged bullets that you produce. The idea has always appealed to me but the cost of the equipment involved has put me off. I've also read differing views as to the quality of bullets produced.
    Have made my own presses. The Corbin press, dies (429 pointy bullets for my p14) and jackets were bought nearly 20 years ago.
    The 22 bullets are working well but I can see the need for a couple of small improvements basically a little extra lapping is needed.
    Current UK prices and law spurred me on.
    Last edited by j0e_bl0ggs; 06-05-2012 at 15:26.