Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: help protect the shooters and fishers on Ireland

help protect the shooters and fishers on Ireland

Please join over 700 shooters and anglers to vote NO in a web poll against proposals to give protectionists the power to ban shooting and angling in every estuary, river and lake in Northern Ireland.
    http://www.nimtf.org/

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    me too,as it stand at the moment (count)

I support the NIMTF and it's work to ensure that the Marine Bill has wildlife at its heart

Thanks for your vote
    I support the NIMTF and it's work to ensure that the Marine Bill has wildlife at its heart (Based on 1187 votes)
    No (787): 66%
    Yes (400): 33%

Can you point us to the shooting and recreational angling bit? I thought the UK marine protection bill was to protect vulnerable areas from commercial fishing and I wouldn't want to vote against that!

68% no
    31% for

when I voted

Bob

This is what was sent to me:

Please join over 700 shooters and anglers to vote NO in a web poll against proposals to give protectionists the power to ban shooting and angling in every estuary, river and lake in Northern Ireland.
    There is a web poll running on the NI Marine Task Force website which gives visitors the option to vote in support of its work on the Marine Bill. In light of the threats to country sports identified in the Bill please visit the site and vote NO. This will send an important message not only to the task force but to civil servants and political representatives in NI that a Marine Bill has to consider people's needs as well as those of wildlife.
    The RSPB, Wildlife Trusts and others have reacted to our vote NO campaign by starting a vote YES campaign. We are losing ground. The web poll will only allow one vote from your internet provider’s address. Ulster Wildlife Trust is encouraging voters to bypass this and register multiple votes via other computers, mobile phones and other internet accessible devices.
    Next week, BASC and Countryside Alliance are scheduled to give evidence to the NI Environment Committee about our concerns and this web poll will be referred to so it is crucial that the vote remains firmly in our favour.

We expect to be called to evidence on Thursday so please email as many people as you can to ask them to visit the Marine Task Force website and vote NO before then. Please also post threads on shooting or angling forums you are members of, if they haven’t had this topic covered.

BASC's website has been updated today, but it will be your support by spreading the word on email and on forums that will make the difference in keeping the NO vote ahead.

The Marine Task Force consists of RSPB, Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, National Trust, Wildlife Trusts and others. Put simply they want legal powers to be put in place in NI to ban shooting and angling in every estuary, river and lake in Northern Ireland. Their web poll was meant to show widespread support for the content of a draft Marine
    Bill that they heavily influenced. Two weeks ago support was running at 97% until BASC and Countryside Alliance started to campaign for a NO vote. Support collapsed and the marine force partners were in shock. They called a meeting with BASC and Countryside Alliance. They wanted us to drop our campaign for a NO vote on their web poll. We asked them to support our amendments to the draft Marine Bill. They refused. So we said we weren’t dropping our joint campaign. Then the vote YES campaign started.

The web poll will only allow one vote from your internet provider’s address. Ulster Wildlife Trust is encouraging voters to bypass this and register multiple votes via other computers, mobile phones and other internet accessible devices.

The world has changed. The UK protectionist organisations do not have the government support they used to have. But we have to make our voice heard. Looking at the big picture this may appear to be a small battle, but if we win it, it will motivate further battles and more wins.

Please do please email as many people as you can to ask them to visit the Marine Task Force website and vote NO.

Thanks for that - I wasn't aware...
    Voted

As you can probably see by the people supporting this - Fiends of the Earth, WWF and similar, this is an attempt by the usual interfering busy-bodies to get control over something which has, to date, remained beyond their control. If they win this, from what I understand, they will have control over every single body of water in NI including the coastline. My money says if they win in NI then their attentions will turn to other areas of the UK so this probably isn't just a matter for us conservationists in NI.

Of course as conservationists we all support protection of our countryside and wetlands but we are in a much better position to conserve these areas rather than having the conservation agenda dictated to us by a bunch of green-anti-loonies who really don't care for the wildlife but are determined to destroy our whole way of life as the primary objective of their political agenda. So, a vote against this isn't a vote against marine conservation but rather is a vote to give conservationists a say in this agenda rather than having it driven my politically motivated "environmentalists" who, as their main objective, wish to stop shooting, fishing and indeed any number of traditional rural pursuits.