No deer ....... Buttt

Acm

Went stalking on a new piece of land for the first time last night , no sign of deer at all despite the owner claiming he's overrun ! However , did shoot 3 fox cubs .so I'm still happy as it backs onto my lambing fields !

well if you were a deer and some guy was out in the fields shooting fox's would you go out to see what was going on. Try not shooting until your target's walk out.

If had taken someone out deer stalking and they said they had been shooting at fox's i would not be to pleased.

Shoot the deer then go after the vemin.
I am sure the farmer is right and use your eye's and look at the ground soft ground or near the hedge.
GOOD LUCK PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE WOODFORDFALLOW

It was 9:15 pm and I'd been out 2 hours . Being an experienced shooter yourself I'm sure you'll know that fox shooting also requires much patience . Being a Shepard foxes are my main target species and I would always shoot a fox over a deer. However thanks for the advice on patience .
Regards

well if you were a deer and some guy was out in the fields shooting fox's would you go out to see what was going on. Try not shooting until your target's walk out.

If had taken someone out deer stalking and they said they had been shooting at fox's i would not be to pleased.

I am sure the farmer is right and use your eye's and look at the ground soft ground or near the hedge.

Not always the case. On much of my ground it doesn't make a difference letting a shot off. The deer will still come out so long as your presence is otherwise undetected.

If a fox and a deer popped out I'd shoot the fox every time, then take the deer. Years of working with gamekeepers, who don't take kindly to foxes being left in favour of shooting deer, is my reason. If I was a guest or paying stalker I'd naturally take the deer,unless asked to take foxes as well. I know 'keepers who would make life very uncomfortable for anyone leaving foxes for deer. Many times I've taken both.

I did say target walks out you made it sound that you were deer stalking .I shoot over 1000s of acres and each parcel has a different set of rules.
My main stalking ground has no game or anything to be botherd by a fox other then the rabbits .But other ground has sheep and gamebirds .
You made it sound like the farmer had told you porky's.
Fox cubs easy they will be there every day same place if not disturbed.
(owner claiming he was over run)
I am sure you will do well with time when you have shot all your fox's.
Get a few high seat's up and they will come to you
good luck woodfordfallow

A different world up here.
we shoot foxes on most permissions before the deer. We will get both if they are there together.
A single shot if you leave the dead fox where it fell, WILL not bother our deer and they will still come out. Ask anyone whos stalked with me. We have so many bangers and so much pigeon and game shooting the roe simply dont bother. If we left foxes in game country we wouldn't be allowed there stalking.
We have taken fox on nearly every outing this last 2 weeks and a buck on nearly everyone also or at least seen deer. (after the fox has been shot). My price list even states now they must be shot on most permissions and booking is agreeing to this. Only had 1 client in hundreds turned funny. (which is why its on the list now).

I don't think your man wanted some condescending advice, I think he was just remarking on an evenings outing!

For what it's worth I shoot foxes over deer on every permission I have and those mates that I have taken stalking are always told that in advance.

All the best

Rich

Last edited:
I don't think your man wanted some condescending advice, I think he was just remarking on an evenings outing!

For what it's worth I shoot foxes over deer on every permission I have and those mates that I have taken stalking are always told that in advance.

All the best

Rich

Seconded

A different world up here.
we shoot foxes on most permissions before the deer. We will get both if they are there together.
A single shot if you leave the dead fox where it fell, WILL not bother our deer and they will still come out. Ask anyone whos stalked with me. We have so many bangers and so much pigeon and game shooting the roe simply dont bother. If we left foxes in game country we wouldn't be allowed there stalking.
We have taken fox on nearly every outing this last 2 weeks and a buck on nearly everyone also or at least seen deer. (after the fox has been shot). My price list even states now they must be shot on most permissions and booking is agreeing to this. Only had 1 client in hundreds turned funny. (which is why its on the list now).

even when I shot the doe in march, the buck next to her didnt lift his head,

All the best

Rich

Hear,hear !
Before I was a geriatric, partially sighted old git I used to zap them on sight to the delight of my owners.
HWH.
DSC_0137.jpg

I once shot a fox that was behind a munty, she hardly even looked up.
Same here though foxes take priority every time.
After a very quiet time shot a bob tailed dog last night and had the vixen in a wire this morning, plus a scraggy dog not 100yds from my house in a wire.:D

Back