Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another interesting Dunsinnan buck

Another interesting Dunsinnan buck

Our Estate's senior guest, Baron Jean Rotsart, asked me on Friday evening to take out a young guy who's apparently an important friend to him and the other lessees of our stalking here to try to get him a half decent buck.

Although not keen to take out strangers because I don't know if they can shoot straight he was a very nice young guy called Brieuc de Crombrugghe whose English was superb, which always helps as my French is only what I did my very best not to learn at school all those years ago. More importantly he was an excellent shot who took time and great pride in his skill and ability with shot placement. Early evening I asked him to knock over a couple of quite rangey young bucks to at least give him a shot and, at the same time, help with our cull of some of the rubbish which he did willingly enough so I got the impression he wasn't as trophy-obsessed as some others we have here. I insisted he use my rifle as I know for certain it's on and he pulled off a couple of one shot instant kills and that was very pleasing for me. A joy to watch in fact.

After that, and at the very last knockings of the evening and more out of luck than anything else, I glassed a buck which looked OK'ish from distance but we had to stalk in closer to get a proper look as we only had a few minutes of light left. He was one I've been looking to take off because, like the Baron's Tuesday evening buck that I posted earlier this week, this old fella was pretty aged with heavy pedicles supporting antlers now thinnish and going in all directions and he's been smart enough not to let me see him too often. The guest took it easily with another beautifully humane shot in very poor light.

What surprised me most was that once we got to it the guest was fair doing somersaults with his leg in the air ! I've rarely seen a guest that excited. Big hugs and kisses all round and no, not like that you lot and before you kick off with the comments - the European manly sort of hugs and kisses ! I don't much cotton to these deteriorating heads and want them gone as they've done their bit in terms of breeding but there are stalkers, particularly the Continentals, who absolutely love them above all others for some reason that's beyond me. The weirder the better as far as they're concerned and they'd often rather have one of these than a gold mirror head.

I personally find the enthusiasm for them somewhat strange, but who cares what I think ? I ended up with an ecstatic guest far happier than I could ever have imagined and I saw a buck that I very much wanted away have a very good quick end to a long life.

Nice when it all works out that well isn't it ?

Will
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-05-04 21.23.03.jpg  
    Will Gallant
    Wildform Taxidermy

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Well done, and a nice buck to take.

Malforms are funny things. As you say, some people go wild over them, some just want them culled.

I take it your guests don't don't mind being named on a public forum? Its not something I'd do, but if they're happy with it, that's fine.

willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 06-05-2012 at 13:06.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Well done, and a nice buck to take.

I take it your guests don't mind being named on a public forum? Not something I'd do personally, but if they're happy with it, fine.

willie_gunn
    'Course they don't mind. It's not like he robbed a bank or something !!
    Will
    Will Gallant
    Wildform Taxidermy

i do like malforms i have a few now for me its something different ,thanks for sharing hes a cracker,wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Gallant View Post
    'Course they don't mind. It's not like he robbed a bank or something !!
    Will
    Will

All I was saying was that I wouldn't publicly name someone who hadn't given written permission to do so. I stand to be corrected, but I believe the Data Protection Act prevents you disclosing data to other parties without the consent of the individual concerned.

If you're happy with it, and they're happy with it, fine!

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Will

All I was saying was that I wouldn't publicly name someone who hadn't given written permission to do so. I stand to be corrected, but I believe the Data Protection Act prevents you disclosing data to other parties without the consent of the individual concerned.

If you're happy with it, and they're happy with it, fine!

willie_gunn

Christ, Willie, lighten up will ya ? Data Protection Act ? Written permission ? I'm all in a lather of worry now expecting a writ any day from Messrs. Turner Over and Poker, those well known London litigation lawyers ;-)
    Will
    Will Gallant
    Wildform Taxidermy

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    i do like malforms i have a few now for me its something different ,thanks for sharing hes a cracker,wayne
    I appreciate they're different, Wayne, and I do understand that there's an interest in them. I guess I'm just an old traditionalist and a sucker for a nice standard head, especially if it's heavy. I've been looking to knock this old chap down for a while and for me the pleasure doesn't really lie in the trophy but in actually outwitting him when he's kept himself so out of the way for so long. Not that I did outwit him when we got him as I spotted him more through luck than anything else unfortunately, and I can't claim any sort of long arduous difficult approach strategy. Quite a short and fairly easy stalk in fact. Pity, but they do come like that now and then.
    Will
    Will Gallant
    Wildform Taxidermy

I much prefer interesting malform to standard 6 pointers... Abnormal bucks for me every time

Nice one will and glad you could make the young fella happy. With regards malforms they to me are genetic rejects to be shot on site at what ever age. A true perfect specimen of a 6 is what we are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Nice one will and glad you could make the young fella happy. With regards malforms they to me are genetic rejects to be shot on site at what ever age. A true perfect specimen of a 6 is what we are looking for.
    Genetic rejects??? ......... How do you know?
    Last edited by Jelendeer; 07-05-2012 at 09:48.