Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a flying visit to my new ground

a flying visit to my new ground

i set off crack of dawn fri to do a couple of days stalking before having to get back to finish some seats for sd members . I wasnt sure on the weather but went anyway arrived on the ground at dinner time met another chap in the syndicate who seems nice abit of a chat on what sort of stalking we had done and off to get set up.
    i opted to camp at one of the lochs again and stalk the far end of the forrest giving kieth the run of the clearfell while i went to explore . wind wasnt great as the wind was swirling and i didnt have much hopes but at least i could cover some ground and see what was hidden in forrest. i had been stalking a couple of hours without any luck and as i was glassing i saw the back of a roe glistening in the sun light head up a large fat doe amongst the heather. i stayed around glassing to see if she had any bucks in tow but no she was on her own . I decided to stalk her anyway to see if i could get in close as the light was fading i managed to get under 100 yrds and just sat and watched her browsing . right on dark i headed back for tea and a beer under the huge moon , i had forgot to check to see the moon phases and not a good start.
    the alarm went off at 4am i looked out to see frost so back under the sleeping bag for another hour before rising for another stalk. not a sign anywhere spent the next couple of hours slowly moving along but nothing was stiring . back to bed till the sun burns off the frost i thaught. at around 9 am i could feel the sun through my sleeping bag so i got my gear sorted and heading off to where the sun meets a really nice clearing where i had seen dear on my previous outing. i had gone around 500 yrds and in the clearing was a nice 6 pointer fully clean and unaware of us i sat down for him to turn for a shot. we had managed to get to 50 yrds of him and tommy was getting fidgity the rifle on my knee with tommy staring and shaking in anticipation of my shot the safety was off and down the buck went a couple of kicks and then silence . i waited a while and sent tommy off to claim his prize and i was well chuffed a decent buck with a good weight to him a couple of pictures and a quick gralloch.

i decided to drag him back to camp what a mistake that was uphill all the way i decided to travel light and leave the roe sack bugger. i left all my gear under a tree and just carried rifle and sticks whilst dragging him home he stunk of pine sap which he had been fraying and was covered in sap . i got him back a quick drink and was off again this time roe sack on my back i headed up to the other loch i reached a fork in the track and there in front of me around 30 yrds was a young murder buck in velvet totally unawares again rifle up on sticks i set my trigger then tommy took a step forward on the track the young buck looked up and was about to flee i sent the 270 off to a low neck shot but the buck turned slightly and it clipped the neck and shoulder but down on the spot i sent tommy off but he was dead on the track ,happy days number two in the bag and a phoncall from keith to meet up i was on my way.

i went out again that night but no joy and my cold was getting worse so i decided to pack up and head off in the night rather than get any worse so a great time again,atb wayne.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Sound like a great trip, congrats on the bucks!
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

nice write and nice couple of bucks, what camping set up do you use.
    "Seek the wisdom of ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child"
    http://www.totally22.co.uk

thanks guys,spoony i use a hammock and its fantastic a lovely nights sleep and the dog likes it too, atb wayne

uksha
    or find us on facebook

nice one wayne sounds cracking will you have to devise an anti mozzy system soon for when in the hammock kipping ?
    atb doug

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    thanks guys,spoony i use a hammock and its fantastic a lovely nights sleep and the dog likes it too, atb wayne
    being a budding bushcrafter as well, i have quite a few hammocks in the loft. i have toyed with camping when stalking. Knowing my luck it will pour down. And everything will get soaked. Be ok if you can park close by to store kit. Even thought about biving, which ive done a million times. They only thing putting me of that is ticks. Strange as i never really thought about them till i started stalking. Now i realise just how many of them are out there. If i bivied id prob end up a portable blood bank for them.
    Which hammock you using DD? hennesy.
    "Seek the wisdom of ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child"
    http://www.totally22.co.uk

thanks guys norma it has a built in midge net i use a tarp over it so its roomy i can park close by as well for my gear so its ideal. spoony i have a bivvy but had the same thaught on the tick front at least im off the ground and all my clobbers done in permethrin so should stop them. spoony its a dd copy off the tinternet called a green hornet.

uksha
    or find us on facebook

tommy is such a good looking animal it was lucky you found him mate or lucky he found you
    atb
    doug

cheers doug ,he has his moments when i could strangle him but i do love him and he sure can find me deer. while we was away i should have had my camcorder because the he did the strangest thing we were stalking along and he got wind of a deer and he tracked it to a pine tree that was around six foot tall he sniffed around and got on his back legs to stiff the top branches of the tree ,i carried on stalking but he stayed there doing the same thing i ended up going back to watch him he just kept winding the tree and bouncing round it and sitting looking at me then the tree. all i can think is that a buck had been fraying and left its mark on the tree as we had stalked that way and nothing but on the way back tommy was doing all this stuff, atb wayne

uksha
    or find us on facebook