Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scope for the Swede

Scope for the Swede

I am in position, or will be very soon, to purchase a new scope for the 6.5x55.

What would you recommend for a rifle built solely for stalking?

Regards
    TotalNovice

Quote Originally Posted by TotalNovice View Post
    I am in position, or will be very soon, to purchase a new scope for the 6.5x55.

What would you recommend for a rifle built solely for stalking?

Regards
    TotalNovice
    this is my new swede topped of with a schimdt and bender 8x56Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new 6.5.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	376.6 KB 
ID:	15227
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

My 6.5 x55 is fitted with a 3-12x56 zeiss varipoint with a bdc turret.
    This even allows the big slow 156RN bullets I use in the summer to be dialed in and shot out to distance with out guess work.

Biker1,

Very nice mate.

Yorkshireroestalking,

Budget I would say is about 1k max, mainly woodland but the odd visit to the hill.
    I have a Nightforce NXS on my .243ai but reckon that the glass is not as superior as Swarovski, Schmidt and possibly Zeiss.

I do, however, like the idea of being able to 'dial' the shots for extended ranges, as you say 'without guess work'.
    Last edited by TotalNovice; 06-05-2012 at 19:32. Reason: Spelling mistake

I have a PM11 on my 6 1/2. Set zero, aim off with the mil dot or dial in.

I'm a fan of simple scopes, because I'm a pretty simple person I guess, and have got away with using an 8X56 S&B for everything as I can't imagine what else I'd need a scope to do. If you want the best glass take a serious look at Nickel and your budget should reach to a fixed Nickel. If you want the best value for money then look at a second hand S&B as they don't seem to hold their money quite so well as the Swaros at the minute, I think Swaro are putting big cash into marketing and this is lifting their perceived value a bit. You could buy a 2nd hand S&B and spend the rest on some stalking and still be sure you had glass that wouldn't let you down on the rifle, that's probably the way I would go. I've tested the 8X56 Swaro and S&B side by side at last light and all of the people present agreed that there was nothing to chose between them in terms of the ability to resolve detail at last light but that the field of view of the Swaro was slightly wider and this made the image "feel" a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalNovice View Post
    Budget I would say is about 1k max, mainly woodland but the odd visit to the hill.

I do, however, like the idea of being able to 'dial' the shots for extended ranges, as you say 'without guess work'.
    How about a Schmidt und Bender 6x42?

What sort of 'extended ranges' are you thinking of having to dial in for? My, albeit limited, experience suggests that with a sensible 6.5x55 zero (i.e. 2" high at 100yds) you don't have to hold very much over at ranges within 250yds. No more 'guesswork' than you're likely to need for windage at longer ranges, at any rate!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    How about a Schmidt und Bender 6x42?

What sort of 'extended ranges' are you thinking of having to dial in for? My, albeit limited, experience suggests that with a sensible 6.5x55 zero (i.e. 2" high at 100yds) you don't have to hold very much over at ranges within 250yds. No more 'guesswork' than you're likely to need for windage at longer ranges, at any rate!
    like i said handy feature for the big slow rounds.
    i'm weary of point blank range on smaller deer.
    2 inch high at 100 can be even higher at 140 then shooting off sticks your group might be 3-4 inch thats now spine shot
    also if you see a longer range fox its easy to dail in.
    for normal stalking my scope is zeroed @ 100m's but i leave it set at 140-150m's.

If I was in your position I'd buy

For Sale: Schmidt and Bender Klassic 3-12x42 Iluminated

Doesn't matter if you usually leave it on 8X. Having the ability to zoom in can be useful and you have the option with a zoom scope that you don't with a fixed.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.