Scope for the Swede

So, to get back on track, anymore opinions on a scope?

Do you intend to reload for your rifle? Pre-reloading, I shot quite happily with 8x50 scopes for about 10 years. Once I started reloading, I started to get involved with variable scopes and use the higher powers for load testing, range work and one long range fox.

Regards JCS

...I often set my zero on a 100yd range. ....

Me too, because it's often tricky to find a place to shoot at longer range. I've done this for nearly fifty years and I expect the bullets to strike the target 1 inch high at 100yds. My POA and POI coincide at 160-165 yds depending on which specific bullet I am using.

I use the attached target which I am happy to e-Mail to anyone who wants a copy.

Good luck. JCS

It would seem that we modern men have much weaker eyes than our forebears. They happily took to the hills and woods with 3x and 4x fixed scopes and brought home the venison. Now it seems that 6x is too low for most to be able to see their quarry and all the time we are told how much better modern things are :rolleyes:.

To answer the OP's question I would acquire and fit a scope of fixed magnification, although new these are getting harder to find :cry: as most are seduced by the "Gun Whores" words and must have a huge variable scope.

IMHO 6x42 is a very good size and for general use I would not suggest more than 7x magnification. Even 4x in a good scope is actually plenty for stalking.

Others of course will disagree :rolleyes:.

The variable scopes I have are all set on 5x or 6x magnification unless sighting in a new load where as per some makes instructions the scope is set using the highest magnification.

My 7x57 has a 4x36 Pecar Champion fitted
25-06 Schmidt & Bender 6x42
30-30 7x50a Meopta
270 Majestic Fwt 3-9x42 Lisenfeld set on 6x
270 Monarch 4x32 Nikko Special Sporting
6mm Rem 7.5x50 CSS Falcon

Darn it am having trouble Remembering what is fitted to what :oops:. Had a bit of a swap around just before the hassles and now am not sure which scope is fitted to which rifle. :banghead: .

There are always two ranges at which POI and POA coincide, and you're only bothering with the further one.

I think the sematic difficulty is that you are referring to 'zero' as the further range at which POA and POI coincide, whereas I think zero is a property I impart to the sights (I set them to zero, if you like) which gives me a reference-point on which to base any further adjustments I might make.

Therefore, I would say the way you've adjusted your AI is that the zero setting of the sights is 1" high at 100yds and on at 200yds. Which actually is what you've said yourself, isn't it?

This is where we come unstuck, like I said earlier, your opinion is different to mine, the only part that we disagree on is that you believe that the rifles zero is where the POI is at 100yds, I believe that the rifles zero is where the POI and POA meet. Anything past that point has to be accounted for.

I know where my 'zero' point is and I also know where the POI will be at varying distances away from the 'zero'

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So to rest of the guy's, thanks for your replies, it certainly gives me some food for thought, I reckon a variable such as a 3-12X50 of something similar will do me.

Regards
TN

the only part that we disagree on is that you believe that the rifles zero is where the POI is at 100yds

The POI at 100yds is a perfectly reaasonable way to describe the result of a certain zero setting of a rifle's sights - as you yourself have demonstrated!

I believe that zero is a setting or state of adjustment of the sights of a rifle. For a given load and rifle, that setting can be described by giving the distance of the POI above and below the POA at any range.
So it is perfectly sensible to anwer the question 'how is your sight zeroed?' by saying, as you described your AI, '1 inch high at 100yds'.
The question 'at what distance is your rifle zeroed?', you would answer for your AI '200yds', although you might also give the near zero distance, which I would guess is probably about 50yds.

I believe that the rifle's zero is where the POI and POA meet.
The POI and the POA meet at these two distances beacuse you are giving the rifle zero elevation relative to the setting of the sight. It isn't that you are actually giving the rifle zero elevation - it is just zero relative to the zero setting of the sights.

Innit?

....I believe that zero is a setting or state of adjustment of the sights of a rifle. For a given load and rifle, that setting can be described by giving the distance of the POI above and below the POA at any range...

Dalua. Thanks for expressing this much better than I ever could. That's exactly what I was taught in the late '60's and still stands me in good stead today. Best regards JCS

Do you intend to reload for your rifle? Pre-reloading, I shot quite happily with 8x50 scopes for about 10 years. Once I started reloading, I started to get involved with variable scopes and use the higher powers for load testing, range work and one long range fox.

Regards JCS

I will load for it JCS and I think a variable with a 50 or 56mm obj lens is the way to go.

The POI at 100yds is a perfectly reaasonable way to describe the result of a certain zero setting of a rifle's sights - as you yourself have demonstrated!

I believe that zero is a setting or state of adjustment of the sights of a rifle. For a given load and rifle, that setting can be described by giving the distance of the POI above and below the POA at any range.
So it is perfectly sensible to anwer the question 'how is your sight zeroed?' by saying, as you described your AI, '1 inch high at 100yds'.
The question 'at what distance is your rifle zeroed?', you would answer for your AI '200yds', although you might also give the near zero distance, which I would guess is probably about 50yds.

The POI and the POA meet at these two distances beacuse you are giving the rifle zero elevation relative to the setting of the sight. It isn't that you are actually giving the rifle zero elevation - it is just zero relative to the zero setting of the sights.

Innit?

Whatever Dalua, you run things your way and I'll run mine my way................end of!

IMHO 6x42 is a very good size and for general use I would not suggest more than 7x magnification. Even 4x in a good scope is actually plenty for stalking.

I think you are as near correct as makes no difference but personally I find a little extra magnification is useful in low light, making all the necessary assumptions about exit pupils and so on. It is just so much easier to see what is going on when the scope moves you a little closer to the deer, which is in effect what it does, in low light and for this reason I use the traditional low light 8X56. I'm shooting sika at last light in dense commercial forestry for the most part though I find the 8X56 also does just fine on the hill for my occasional trip for red deer with probably the only disadvantage being a few extra ounces of weight. It all I did was shoot red deer on the hill or in more open areas for less "timid" deer then a 6x or even 4x scope would probably do the job just as well.

Hi Folks.
I have been reading this thread with interest.
I always reckon that for stalking and foxing POI 1" HIGH AT 100M is good,then aim on POI from 75-125m.
My Swarro 6-24x50 Is overkill for the Sako 85 in 6.5x55 for that kind of shot.
So here is the question- What to buy that is reliable,simple,good twilight quality,and not to many twiddly
bits to worry about and fumble for.
Is there a scope that has all the above, Perhaps 8x56 with illuminated reticule ?
Any recomendations Guys.

Bryan.

Hi Folks.
I always reckon that for stalking and foxing POI 1" HIGH AT 100M is good,then aim on POI from 75-125m.
So here is the question- What to buy that is reliable,simple,good twilight quality,and not to many twiddly
Is there a scope that has all the above, Perhaps 8x56 with illuminated reticule ?
Any recomendations Guys.

Bryan.
schmidt and bender 6 x 42 or 8 x 56 i love my 6 x 42 for stalking i wouldnt bother with an illuminated recticule myself

Me too, because it's often tricky to find a place to shoot at longer range. I've done this for nearly fifty years and I expect the bullets to strike the target 1 inch high at 100yds. My POA and POI coincide at 160-165 yds depending on which specific bullet I am using.

I use the attached target which I am happy to e-Mail to anyone who wants a copy.

Good luck. JCS

That's a very useful target Mr. C-S, what did you use to make it?

I'm hoping to make one with cm squares and 1.5" and 2" zero point on the squares.

I will load for it JCS and I think a variable with a 50 or 56mm obj lens is the way to go.

JCS is of course right that a higer mag is better for load development but if you select the right target to shoot at, ie. something that let's you bracket your scrosshairs, you can cope with a fixed mag.

I've done very well with a 7x50 zeiss.

Hi Folks.
Any recomendations Guys.

Bryan.

As I've said before, and clearly it is only my opinion, but - for best value look at a 2nd hand S&B fixed. I like the 8X56 you might prefer the 6X42. You'll pay less for it than for a Swaro as you don't buy so many magazine adverts but you can see just as much at last light.

If money is no problem and you want the best glass then don't buy anything until you look at Nickel, you don't pay for any magazine adverts with them and there may be other lesser known brands selling better glass but I haven't seen it yet.

As I've said before, and clearly it is only my opinion, but - for best value look at a 2nd hand S&B fixed. I like the 8X56 you might prefer the 6X42. You'll pay less for it than for a Swaro as you don't buy so many magazine adverts but you can see just as much at last light.

If money is no problem and you want the best glass then don't buy anything until you look at Nickel, you don't pay for any magazine adverts with them and there may be other lesser known brands selling better glass but I haven't seen it yet.
yep you wont be dissapointed by either of the schmidt scopes i like the 6 x 42 as it sits low on the rifle but you wont be shortchanged by either if i remember correctly there was a 6 x 42 for sale on here for 300 quid great value!

Whatever Dalua, you run things your way and I'll run mine my way................end of!

Where does this 'end of!' thing come from? Perhaps it signifies the end of your trying to understand what I'm on about?

We are in any case running things the same: it's just that I have been pointing out pertinent differences in the ways the two of us use terminology relating to the setting of sights, and you have been ignoring them!:)

I have two 'scopes which I use to use on my 6.5x55. One is a 6x42 S&B.
The other I bought at a time when I thought it might have to double as a fox rifle, and that is a 4-12x50 Swaro with the TDS reticle which if properly zeroed gives an almost guess-free set of aiming-points for different ranges without the intolerable fannying-about (IMHO, of course) associated with dialling in (or perhaps less desirably, accidently dialling out).

Almost invariably the rifle was taken to Invernesshire with the 6x42 on top. The bit of holdover one might need I found easily easily managed, like the windage, by holding off.
Nice to have the option of the bigger 'scope, perhaps, if the budget allows - but it didn't get that much use, really!

Back