Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on non-anschutz german rimfires

Advice on non-anschutz german rimfires

I have been living for some time without a 22lr, or rimfire of any description. I've decided i need a 22lr for rabbits, and i'm looking for some advice on choosing from a few different secondhand rifles - as they just seem to be better made than any modern rifle short of spending an awful lot of money. I have narrowed things down to two 70s vintage germans - a voere voehrenbach and krico (which i think is an early 301). They look to be fairly similar, and i am having difficulty seperating them - but am favouring the Voere. Is the Krico related to the Weihrauch rimfires? Which would you choose?

A CZ452.

Sorry but couldn`t resist, they a brilliantly made, and cheap as chips. Will out perform most and are reliable as the day is long. Wouldn`t touch a secondhand rimmy when a new one is so cheap.

The kricos were a good shooters in .22 and ,22 mag. There were quite a few sold in australia. parts are hard to come by is the only down side.

Look for a Walther KKJ or similar. Superb quality they would cost a fortune today if they were still making them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    A CZ452.

Sorry but couldn`t resist, they a brilliantly made, and cheap as chips. Will out perform most and are reliable as the day is long. Wouldn`t touch a secondhand rimmy when a new one is so cheap.
    +1

I've weihrauch hw66 22lr. It has a brilliant 14 inch match barrel. The trigger in it is their remote model they use in their air rifles. It's one of the best 2 stage triggers you will find out of the box. I've mine this 2 years and wouldnt dream of selling it. They are an excellent little rifle.

Wouldn`t touch a secondhand rimmy when a new one is so cheap.
    Sorry ole chap but one has to disagree here. In fact I ended up owning a Brno Model 2 of 1965 vintage instead of the new rilfe I had gone to buy. The Brno has an almost match trigger break very slick bolt and better stock shape. Add to that the finish of the barrel and bolt were better than the new one:-

With Leupold M8 Comapct 4x scope fitted

With classic period Nikko Sterling Special 4x32 fitted.

I also have the correct Meopta scope a 3x Prepov that I picked up.

Of course one could fit a large modern scope as well but too large a scope tends to spoil the lines in my view . The rifle came with the original steel Five round magazine and I purchased a new steel Ten round magazine at the same time. He had the newer plastic type as well but I prefer steel.

Originally the "New" .22 L/R was supposed to be used with a moderator but I could not bring myself to wreck such a fine rifle so a cheap beat up old BSA Supersport Five was found for 25 and that was chopped and threaded for a moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainstalker View Post
    The kricos were a good shooters in .22 and ,22 mag. There were quite a few sold in australia. parts are hard to come by is the only down side.
    Krico's are good and had a nifty selector from bolt to semi auto. Unfortunately a magazine is likely to cost a good deal more than the rifle...

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    A CZ452.

The Germans also believe parts of Czechoslovakia were indeed Germany, looked how that turned out...

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    I've weihrauch hw66 22lr. It has a brilliant 14 inch match barrel. The trigger in it is their remote model they use in their air rifles. It's one of the best 2 stage triggers you will find out of the box. I've mine this 2 years and wouldnt dream of selling it. They are an excellent little rifle.
    the hw is a re badged kricos

And does that make it a bad gun?