Thread: scope base windage adjustment

scope base windage adjustment

was testing my 308 over 300yds yesterday (no wind at all) windage fine at 1ooyds but drifts right until at 300yds it is approx 20cm right (rather than falling in a line below the aim point).
    now the rings and bases (hilver) have grub screws that connect them so it would appear to be a case of move right screw out and tighten left but the amount would be such a small amount that it would be hard to guage. Is there a fool proof way of setting up the rings to ensure the scope and the bore are in perfect alignment?
    Until now I have had ringmounts or rings and bases with no windage adjustment and they tracked perfectly with no lateral deviation. shooting the 243 at the same time yesterday at the same time also produced no lateral deviation (and a cracking 1" 300yd group)

To see the adjustments may I suggest you try a colimeter. However I fear there is something else going on here. I cannot see why the bullet would swing right after 100 yards. It must be swinging right before that so try shooing at 25 yards and fofty yards before moving or adjusting anything and se if the impact falls left of point of aim.

Have just changed to this mounts?

not tried less than 100, zeroed at this range. have shot a couple of deer less than 100 but chest shot so wouldnt be able to tell. i suspect the mounts are solid but yes they have been put on recently (100 rounds or so). I still think the scope and rifle are not aligned perfectly along the same plane (well this makes the most sense to me).

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    To see the adjustments may I suggest you try a colimeter. However I fear there is something else going on here. I cannot see why the bullet would swing right after 100 yards. It must be swinging right before that so try shooing at 25 yards and fofty yards before moving or adjusting anything and se if the impact falls left of point of aim.

Have just changed to this mounts?
    kevin easy answer wind at 100 yds or a dip in the ground with a change in wind direction ,ive shot at bisley and the flags down the range every one of them was in a different direction out to 1000 not uncommon, whilst stalking thats where a good set of glasses and checking the grass and or bushes around the area for the windage can help your point of impact .

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    kevin easy answer wind at 100 yds or a dip in the ground with a change in wind direction ,ive shot at bisley and the flags down the range every one of them was in a different direction out to 1000 not uncommon, whilst stalking thats where a good set of glasses and checking the grass and or bushes around the area for the windage can help your point of impact .
    no wind in this case. was shooting same ranges with 3x 243s a 270 and a 30 06 and none of the other rifles had wind drift. it was a totally still evening.

It could be your recticle is slightly canted , I would start over remounting your scope again , you know the drill spirit level on scope base then mount scope spirit level scope , equaly torque cap screws, check bipod mounted tightly.
    You could then spirit level rifle with ever thing secure and look through scope at the side of a building 100m away and see that your recticle is vertical.

ATB