Thread: bedding a rifle

bedding a rifle

Ive been using a couple of CZ 601s for a couple of years now and up to now no issues. The 243 I have never done anything but stick a scope on and shoot and its consistent and really accurate.
    The 308 was very accurate but recently was spraying the rounds about a lot, I just got a new scope and mounts so assumed the problem was one or the other. I replaced the mounts from millet (horrible mounts that look like they came out of a cracker) to hilver. I would have done this anyway due to the poor quality of the millets but it made little difference. I then discovered that the front stock screw was loose so I tightened it up and groups went down to 1" ish at 100 (the gun previously shot better).
    problem is that the initial shot goes slightly right of the main group (from clean or dirty barrel). I am thinking that this is a stock fit issue?

Question is, if I glass bed with floating barrel would the fore end have enough rigidity to avoid flexing into the barrel negating any benefit? what about bedding the action and the barrel channel giving total contact to end of stock?

The site below should answer most questions about stabilising stocks and bedding stocks and whether your rifle needs this treatment. Have a look and see but it may be cheapest to try taking any accumulated copper out of the barrel first to see if that makes any difference. Nathan is a good lad and generally responds to questions quickly.

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Know...allistics.html

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Reso...+Compound.html

Bob

Firstly I would pull the stock off and visually inspect the bedding area especially the tang as you have shot the rifle lose in the stock. To see if any damage of obvious compression has taken place. As above clean the barrel to remove jacket build up. I found in one used rifle that the foulign was layered with copper fouling sealed under nitro residue then more copper etc. It took nearly three days of cleaning with P-H 009 then Forest Bore foam to get it all out. broke the powder residue to let the Forest work on the copper then again more Nitro solvent to remove more powder residue.

Then if none obvious I would reassemble and test again making sure the action is properly placed in the stock and screws tightened correctly.

I agree on the Millet rings damned rubbish and cheap is not the word. Cost is another matter.

Use a scope of known performance to test. I wasted over 200 rounds of ammunition chasing down a grouping problem only to discover the brand new scope was faulty, then to add insult to injury the replacement was faulty too. Finally stole the S&B 6x42 off another rifle to test with.
    Last edited by Brithunter; 09-05-2012 at 13:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    The site below should answer most questions about stabilising stocks and bedding stocks and whether your rifle needs this treatment. Have a look and see but it may be cheapest to try taking any accumulated copper out of the barrel first to see if that makes any difference. Nathan is a good lad and generally responds to questions quickly.http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Know...allistics.htmlhttp://www.ballisticstudies.com/Reso...+Compound.htmlBob
    Second vote for nathen, really helpful guy, email him Pete he will freely give you advice.

just changed the scope and mounts for a proven set and all bullets inside an inch so the gun would appear to be ok. Will put scope and mounts on a different rifle and see if i can get to the bottom of this. Bloody frustrating. If its the scope or the mounts I am supprised that it shoots the first shot 3" avay from all subsequent shots (that form a tight group) every time I have done this the 1st and subsequent shots have gone to the same point of impact

Welcome to the club mate at least you have found and cured the problem fairly quickly. Me being stubborn and refusing to believe a new scope by a known big maker could really be that faulty. The fault was not so repeatable as yours or I might have found it sooner.

It had me doubting my eyesight and arranging a new eye test, wondering if I had brougth a right dog of a rifle, doubting my hand loading and almost my sanity as one day it would be fine then the next every group moved a bit. Twas after changing scopes that we proved it was the new scope.

You could have knocked me down with a feather when after fitting the replacement it all started again .

The faulty Nikko Sterling was easy to spot and very repeatable the shots land in two groups about 2" apart vertically. I still have the target I believe where I plotted the fall of shot. Amazingly the importers seemed to think this was fine and returned to scope as OK to me after I sent it back .

What mag and scope are you using?
    Slightly iffy parrallax may cause shifts between shots if your head position isn't perfect and hold consistent, the is exacerbated with low mag scopes.

It also wouldn't be completely unheard of it being down to rifle hold. Lot's of people hold rifles differently between the first and second shots, especially on heavily recoiling rigs.