Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Docked and Dew Clawed?

Docked and Dew Clawed?

I'm researching my new stalking dog. I know the breed I will be getting, which is a WHV.

There are a few litters of pups out there (or which are planned) which haven't been docked and dew clawed.

Realistically should that be of concern for a dog which will predominantly be used for walking to heel and finding shot deer? It will be used for muntjac and roe, with the occasional red and fallow.

I'm just convened that with a muntjacs ability to expire in the thickest bramble patch about, that an undocked/dew clawed dog will forever be getting injured. Is that a realistic worry?

For those of you who have undocked WHV's are they susceptible to damage?

My spaniels are both docked and dew clawed.

spaniels wagg their tails in cover and damage them,
    HPRs and others dont as far as I know, its more a visual thing.

Shouldn't be a problem for a stalking dog.

docked etc

If they are anything like Arthur you wil be beaten to death as they wag all the time.
    For deer work no problem, seen damaged tails if used for woodland pointing/beating.About 50% coming onto my stand at game fairs are not docked.

I have a large munsterlander, which are neither docked tails nor dew claws as a breed. In the past there has been a few docked at the tip, but not now. They are a hairy dog. My bitch regularly catches the tip of her tail and to such an extent within a few minutes it has a bit of blood, but nothing that causes her bother has done no harm but I do use her for birds and deer. Dew claws wise, the only real due claws to cause problems in my opinion are the back ones. Munsters don't tend to have back ones, but spaniels do sometimes. The front ones on a leggy dog like an HPR (excluding britannys) are so high up they don't cause problems.

+1 with kit, mines waggs all the time and at times it's like a whip.
    I have always had labs and spaniels, but this is the first time with a HWV and I have never known a more affectionate dog and would not change back.
    He is young but coming along nicely and he will be ready when he is ready, I have no calenda.r

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    If they are anything like Arthur you wil be beaten to death as they wag all the time.
    For deer work no problem, seen damaged tails if used for woodland pointing/beating.About 50% coming onto my stand at game fairs are not docked.

I have an undocked GWP, it hasn't caused him any trouble yet but he has smashed a glass window plus he keeps knicking the end, still doesn't bother him but does paint my walls red in the house!

As a WHV owner of 2 my main concern if I were you, are they not docked and dewed because they are not from working stock. Look at wilf on here he has a litter from a good stalking bitch.
    There are a few out there that are a bit strange.
    Only my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler1 View Post
    As a WHV owner of 2 my main concern if I were you, are they not docked and dewed because they are not from working stock. Look at wilf on here he has a litter from a good stalking bitch.
    There are a few out there that are a bit strange.
    Only my opinion
    beat me to it!this would be my concern also.there should be no probs getting a docked puppy as it will meet all the requirments to be docked.have a good look around there are plenty about

Thank you for the advice.
    I was sceptical as to why some of the advertised litters had not had it done.
    I know Wilf's brother well. So know of the litter and like the look of one of the dog pups.
    But, I always think when there such a big investment in terms of time that it pays to research, and there were a few "working" litters advertised that aren't docked or dew clawed. I know Gonegos don't do it anymore.