Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blaser R93 in 308 with Moderator how brutal are they

Blaser R93 in 308 with Moderator how brutal are they

Hi Guys if you have one of these with a mod fitted what ate they like with factory ammo
    Does it tame them down a little, the last 308 un-mod was like a cannon going off
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

I've got an R93 in .308 that i use with an atec cmm6 steel moderator and using winchester super x 150gr s/point ammo.
    I'm getting ragged 1 hole groups off the bipod and the rifle is lovely and smooth to shoot!
    Having the moderator fitted allows you to complete the follow through of the shot and tames the recoil.

Having used my previous .308 without a moderator for stalking it was loud and the recoil was sharp.

Daz

I have one with a mod on it - it wasn't brutal, or anywhere near it, before I fitted the mod and I would say the mod knocked about a third off the recoil which is still far from brutal. I shoot 150 grain home loads at 3000fps as one of my loads, so perhaps a little faster than factory ammo.

Depending on the shooting position I can sometimes see the bullet strike through the scope but I tend to shoot with both eyes open and for some reason usually see the reaction with the non-shooting eye.

It may be that you are more badly disturbed by the noise or the muzzle blast as these seem to hit people harder than the actual recoil in many cases. If that is so then the mod will be of considerable benefit to you.

I have an R93 in .243 & .308, both moderated, no bother with either.
    Both of them are not exactly fussy about fodder and work perfectly well with a selection of factory ammo.
    I don't use the .243 so much these days
    The .308 I'm currently using with Norma factory ammo with Nosler 150grain Ballistic Tips and get sub-1" groups at 100m. I have mine set up to shoot about 1" high at that distance with the 150gr ammo and find it is spot on at the same distance with Federal Premium loaded with 180gr Nosler Partitions - handy is that.
    I can't believe you think the .308 is "like a cannon going off" though
    The good old .308 is a really easy one to use, barely kicks, low report and not a lot of flash either - however, we are all different I suppose
    I can usually keep the sights on whatever I shoot, the mod is a T8 by the way, unless shooting munties or CWD at distances beyond about 120m or so. Shooting at Roe at =/<100m the crosshairs rarely jump above the line of the back

ATB
    T
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Perceived brutality from rifle calibres seems to have a relation to your build / frame,. & also a little bit of mindset, having said that, rifle fit is also important just like using shotguns.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I have an R93 in .308 which doesn`t have a moderator. Granted the barrel is a Jagd Match type, that is, the heavy fluted barrel, recoil is nothing, when shooting from a bipod. I shoot 165gr and 168 gr factory rounds. Accuracy is superb, noise is a non issue and recoil as I mentioned is barely noticeable. Just to be clear, I am of average height and average build. I also shoot .300 Win Mag, 9.3x62 and .375H&H. A .308 is a pussy cat compared to these.

I also, had a .30-06 which I thought wrongly would kick like a mule as it was a very light stalking rifle. Wear a good thick jacket, hold the rifle firmly against your shoulder and relax! I hold my rifle with my non trigger hand (left hand) firmly placed under the stock as opposed to the forearm. It works for me.

Also, my wife is of slight build and she can manage it. She knocked 2 stags down with a .270 Win (unmodded) and didnt bat an eyelid.

Quote Originally Posted by geoshot View Post
    I have an R93 in .243 & .308, both moderated, no bother with either.
    Both of them are not exactly fussy about fodder and work perfectly well with a selection of factory ammo.
    I don't use the .243 so much these days
    The .308 I'm currently using with Norma factory ammo with Nosler 150grain Ballistic Tips and get sub-1" groups at 100m. I have mine set up to shoot about 1" high at that distance with the 150gr ammo and find it is spot on at the same distance with Federal Premium loaded with 180gr Nosler Partitions - handy is that.
    I can't believe you think the .308 is "like a cannon going off" though
    The good old .308 is a really easy one to use, barely kicks, low report and not a lot of flash either - however, we are all different I suppose
    I can usually keep the sights on whatever I shoot, the mod is a T8 by the way, unless shooting munties or CWD at distances beyond about 120m or so. Shooting at Roe at =/<100m the crosshairs rarely jump above the line of the back

ATB
    T
    (Cough)

Are you not loading yet mate?

You need an air rifle,for me more kick the better,feels like you have shot something worth firing

Having chucked loads of 7.62 down the range in my life, I now have a slot on my ticket for a .308 and am just waiting for the right s/h rifle to come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunting View Post
    Hi Guys if you have one of these with a mod fitted what ate they like with factory ammo
    Does it tame them down a little, the last 308 un-mod was like a cannon going off
    Sounds to me like you really need some proper instruction is rifle shooting. Unless there is really something wrong with you physically then a .308 in a normal rifle should not be knocking the snot out of you as for the muzzle blast noise used decent hearing protection. Also using a rifle with a proper barrel length and not a lengthened pistol one will help with the muzzle blast as it puts it further away.

4 inches (sorry but I prefer the Imperial system ) makes more difference than a lot of people realise.

Stock fit is also more important than most people realise and an ill fitting stock can make shooting a rifle unpleasant.

Technique is also more important than some people think, stance, hold, the way the rifle is held into the shoulder and head position all effect not only your shooting but how the rifle effects you.