150 grain 308 combo

Distinguished Member
hi guys

do any of you use a 150 grain sp in your 308 ????????

if so what bullet heads you using ??

what powder you using and how much ??

and what velocity you getting ??

(im currently use sierra spbt(gameking) 150 and 42 grains of vit 150 and getting 2405 fps out of a 20" barrell, just curious what your combos are)

ATB

Dave

I've just swapped over to 150 gn hornady sst's from gamekings as on a couple of reds they deflected on the shoulder and lead to a slow kill. Flattened a buck with it and when the 150 gnsst's are used up I'll be trying 165 gn sst's. Currently using 45.2 grains V150 but every rifle is different. I don't know speed as it has been dull when I've had the chrony out. I'm using a 20" barrel as well. ATB

Bob

do you still use 44/45 with the 125s steve and what speed you get with the 125s you know

ATB

Dave

I've used Sako 150 hammerhead and super hammerhead - both are superb on hinds, however this is factory ammo and not hand loads I'm afraid.

I've used 150 grn sierra game kings over 44grans of N140 works okay very accurate. not sure of the velocity. Although have just gone over to 45.5 grains Varget but using 155gran Scenar for target shooting.

I'm shooting the Hornady 150 grain Spire Points with a max load, according to Alliant, of Reloader 15 which is giving me 3000fps out of my Blaser. I think the barrel is somewhere between 21 and 22 inches as standard. This load is very accurate. I have another very accurate load for this bullet but it is slower and probably marginal for making 2450fps.

I also shoot the Nosler Partition in 150 grain with a lesser load of RL15, it is doing about 2700. I did try the max Spire Point load behind the Nosler but it wasn't very accurate so I had to ease it back a little. So far I've been impressed with the Partition and it occasioinally puts a chest shot sika down where it stands which, in my experience, just doesn't happen.

I developed a load for Boghossian's 20" PH 308 of 45.0 grain H4895, 150gr Hornady Interlock BTSP, Privi brass and CCI 200 primers at an OAL of 2.740. Accurate in his rifle and we chrono'ed it at 2690 fps average with a fairly decent ES. That rifle has a bore as rough as the proverbial.

I typically get somewhere between 100-150 fps more from the same load in 24" barreled sako with an almost new bore.

The speed you get can also depend on the precise size and condition of your bore so expect discrepancies larger than you might imagine in either direction.

46g n140 in my 24 inch barrel gives 2900 fps with a flat base speer spitzer, nice and flat shooting, low recoil and does the bizz on deer

Back