Thread: A Brace of Bucks

A Brace of Bucks

A Brace of Bucks
    After a weekend of unsuccessful stalking on my usual ground which culminated in me only seeing out of season does I rang Greame of Devon County Deer. As usual he was helpful and accommodating and invited me straight over as he had seen bucks on his ground. After a brief stalk into the high seat on one of the nicest evenings of the year I settled in. I knew there was a problematic fox in the area that had eluded me on a couple of previous visits so I was prepared for him to make an appearance. After a short wait I spotted the back of the fox just over a rise out of the back of the high seat but from where I was sitting I couldn’t get a shot. I managed to stand up in the seat using an upper branch as the rifle rail a little more difficult than it sounds at 5.2m off the ground. Once I managed to stand up I was surprised to find it was a nice buck about 120m out in the field with the rise providing a nice back stop. The shot was true and he ran five steps back towards me then collapsed into the grass. After a short search in the long grass he was gralloched and prepared for the larder all before 18.30. I returned to the high seat and waited for my elusive fox.
    After about 30 minutes I heard barking from the wood behind me and I could see an animal behind me in the wood but not clearly enough for a shot. I gave one brief call on the butello and he stopped barking and started to move along a track but I thought that would be the last I would see of him. Prepared for Charlie I sat back and waited for my chance. St Hulbert was looking down as a wonderful buck came out of the wood behind me out into the same field as the last one. I waited as there was cattle in the field behind him and no clear back stop. The climb up the tree seemed somehow less attractive this time but it was the only way I could get a shot. Slowly he made his way into the field and offered the shot. The shot was good and he dropped on the spot. After the gralloch I realised I was a good distance from the drop off point and the realisation dawned that he who shoots them carries them! Fortunately the carry was down hill and I improvised two straps to make into slings. With the deer lardered and tagged Greame and I shared a customary small dram to drink the deer dead. Thank you GP for a fantastic outing.

Paul Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brace 1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	488.2 KB 
ID:	15279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brace 2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	656.0 KB 
ID:	15280

Well done,your deer are far in advance of ours up here in the frozen north regarding changeing thier coat,grass seems to be doing well also..

Quote Originally Posted by nell View Post
    Well done,your deer are far in advance of ours up here in the frozen north regarding changeing thier coat,grass seems to be doing well also..
    I was just thinking the same nell!!! Couple of nice bucks Paul, well done!

Thanks Nell why do you think I moved 400 miles away from my home town of Sunderland??? Grass nearly caught me out took me about 15 mins to find him despite my best efforts to mark him. Much better with the second one but I probably flattened half the field looking for the first one!!!

Paul

Thanks Timney see reply to nell I moved for the weather had enough of all that Northern stuff as a boy!!