Lazer bore sighters.

NO there crap

just look down the bore with bolt out, and adjust scope that way, its never let me down, ive always got on a a4 paper at 100 yards that way.

bought 2 over the years but there not worth a ****

ATB

Dave

What about with semis, falling blocks and lever actions? Don't know but they are all fairly difficult to look through. Never tried a laser bore sighter so I am a fairly easy target!!!

David.

What about with semis, falling blocks and lever actions? Don't know but they are all fairly difficult to look through. Never tried a laser bore sighter so I am a fairly easy target!!!

David.

Use a collimeter with the correct bore size spud............................... Simples :smug:.

Don't bother with the expanding type though.

A good un will act as a collimator. isnt it useful to be able to check the sight setting after a drop of bang?:doh:

There not worth the money, put you rifle on bags with a unprimed case in the chamber and bore sight it over 25 - 50 meters if possible. You will be on A4 paper at 50m with the first shot.

A couple weeks ago I bought a new .17HMR and decided to swap my scope from my .22LR and stick an older Simmons scope with paralax adjustment (YUCK!) on the .22LR.

Shop were brilliant and offered to set both up with their Laser Bore Sighter.

I thought that this would mean that they were spot on zero and that all I would be thinking about was what distance I preferred them set and what ammunition shot best for my new rifle.

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG! My first few shots missed everything. So I went back to basics.

At 50 Meters I placed a big old cardboard box covered in Felt Marker Crosses.

Get this - .17Hmr was 4" high and a full 6" Right. My .22LR was about 8" High and 12" Right. That cant all be me. Thats pretty much going to be double that at 100m. Certainly not any drop on a .17 at 100m to my delight.

So I went through my drills and set my Rifles up the way I like them. Last night shot my first rabbit at 80m with the .17HMR, Head shot, 1 cm behind its eye. No muss no fuss and surprisingly from some of the threads Ive read, no explosion.

Lazer Bore Sighters- complete waste of money even on more expensive centre fire ammunition. Set up right,from a steady rest, carefully and methodically you should be able to zero a rifle in 10 to 12 rounds.

Save your money.......I wasted USD 150 on one from Cabelas.

I have a simple bore sighter from Hawke which is far better value.

The best way to bore sight a rifle inmy opinion is to put a target up, walk nback 25 meters, remove bolt from gun and peer down the barrel. Works for me. Usually on the paper with the first shot, then fine tune accordingly.

Are they worth investing in?
Ta.
basil.

I bought a Red Eye version a few years ago in 308 and really didn't rate it. These things are over a £ton and only good for a rough set up as the laser can't be seen much beyond 35 yards. Like the other posters I would tend to use ''level levels' and a collimator. Pretty much on paper every time then fine tuning.

A lot of them have adjuster screws in them and are set up at the factory.

If you're someone who get through a lot of scopes you could buy one, put it in your rifle, mark it's position and adjust it to line it up with the cross hairs of your existing scope. Now you have it set up for that rifle for use in the future.

As a buy it new and hope it works out the box then most likely not.

Things have moved in terms of cost. Will get you on paper without resorting to squinting and removal of any raised cheekpiece:

Or do it properly...

Or do it properly...

Bit of a coincidence , borrowed @Dr. Strangelove 's Bushnell collimator yesterday evening . It made swapping scope rings to my Burris xtr signature rings a doddle . I managed to shim , centre the windage to within a few clicks and add some elevation . Just need a final zero, should have bought one years ago .

Or do it properly...

Ah, I have the older version that came with a row of spuds in all the different calibres with a spring wire to hold them tight in the bore. I use it to start with and then fine adjust by shooting onto the aim point and when I am dead on the money I refit the unit and make a note where the ret is sitting relative to the Bushnells grid for future reference in case of a scope bump keep them on an excel list, boring old nerd am I.

Back