Available: Self catering cottage on the Isle of Lewis - trout, salmon, shooting and stalking

caorach

Self catering cottage sleeping 6 available on a croft on the West Side of the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides.

http://www.7south.co.uk/

This is the IDEAL location for those looking for the perfect fishing destination. There are literally hundreds of trout lochs which are free fishing and salmon fishing is also available in the area. The salmon fishing ranges from free to weekly permits to the possibility of a day on some very exclusive waters indeed. There is free trout and salmon fishing on a loch within 5 minutes walk of the cottage with other options ranging from a few minutes in the car to an hour and a half in the car plus a 12 mile walk across difficult hill and moor.

Lewis and the attached island of Harris also has some amazing stalking for red deer as well as lots of shotgun sport. You can see my reports on stalking hinds and also, further down the thread, stags in the area on the following thread:

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/34735-Hebridean-hind-stalking

It is also the ideal location for a family holiday with a good sandy beach only a short walk from the cottage and lots to see and do in the area, especially for the "outdoor" family. There are still a few weeks for this August available though July and September are pretty much full now.

Please use the contact details on the link above should you wish to enquire about booking but if you want information about how you might arrange salmon fishing, stalking or shooting then feel free to drop me a PM. I have been fishing for trout on Lewis for over 20 years now and so can direct you to a range of interesting trout lochs depending on how far you wish to walk.

Cottage

Hi please send me details i have sent an email but as we are trying to move to the area information about spare dates would be apppreciated

Unfortunately dogs are not allowed at the present time.

This does appear as one of the bullet points on the accommodation page but a few people have had to ask so it seems that it needs to go in a more prominent place on the web page so I will look into doing that.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Pity about the dogs, if you dont want them in the cottage have you considered building a kennel block?

We have thought about building kennels with an outdoor run and depending on demand might consider this again, though being honest most people who travel to Lewis for sport often come by air and so don't bring their own dogs and many people with pets might not be too keen on keeping them outside so at present there doesn't seem to be sufficient demand to justify the investment.

The biggest problem is that the cottage is on a working croft and is surrounded by other working crofts which currently have sheep with lambs on them, and many of the lambs will be there until the Autumn sales. It is a major concern to allow strange dogs onto what is, basically, a livestock farm and it would also be a major issue for the neighbours as the whole community revolves around sheep. As you can imagine, especially if you happen to have livestock of your own, you wouldn't be keen on having a strange dog on the croft and you'd be even more nervous of allowing a strange dog onto a neighbours croft so to be a responsible and fair neighbour at the present time it seems reasonable just to say no pets at all.

I will keep everyone informed if there is a change of mind but as I'm sure you will understand it would be hard to find a solution that would ensure that all dogs were 100% safe with the sheep and, more importantly, with the neighbour's sheep and in the end it comes down to an animal welfare issue.

I completely understand why you and your neighbours are tetchy about strange dogs, thanks for the reply.

Thank you Bomag. Just to say that although July and September are pretty much full now for some reason August is proving a very slow month and so there are still weeks available. So, if you haven't booked the family holiday yet (and are willing to leave Fido at home) and fancy a few weeks in the Outer Hebrides in August then take a look at the web site and get in touch.

Back