Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well I Never

Well I Never

I've been shooting the same land now for 10years its about 1000acres with mostly arable land and a few smallish woods.
    I've heard rumors of deer being around but in ten years never seen so much as a track and i regularly pigeon shoot it, walk the dog round, lamp rabbits there.
    Then one morning in January I went out with the dog to do a bit of pigeon decoying it was around 8am the weather was crap it was drizzling and there was some mist in the air but looked like it might improve with time. After building myself a hide i was stood 30yards out into the field placing a pattern out when I looked up and saw a roe buck wondering across the field around 150yards away from me calmly strolling not a care in the world.
    That morning has made me really want to get into stalking, its not all about the kill but its about being out there and seeing such fantastic animals.

So after finally seeing my first deer on that land after ten years in February roost shooting some pigeons i stumbled across two muntys!!

Just thought i'de share this will you.

Quote Originally Posted by filzee View Post
    I've been shooting the same land now for 10years its about 1000acres with mostly arable land and a few smallish woods.
    I've heard rumors of deer being around but in ten years never seen so much as a track and i regularly pigeon shoot it, walk the dog round, lamp rabbits there.
    Then one morning in January I went out with the dog to do a bit of pigeon decoying it was around 8am the weather was crap it was drizzling and there was some mist in the air but looked like it might improve with time. After building myself a hide i was stood 30yards out into the field placing a pattern out when I looked up and saw a roe buck wondering across the field around 150yards away from me calmly strolling not a care in the world.
    That morning has made me really want to get into stalking, its not all about the kill but its about being out there and seeing such fantastic animals.

So after finally seeing my first deer on that land after ten years in February roost shooting some pigeons i stumbled across two muntys!!

Just thought i'de share this will you.
    quick call the doctor, this mans got the bug
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

They`ve probably been there longer than you think.
    You didn`t see them because you weren`t looking for them.
    Great news for you.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    They`ve probably been there longer than you think.
    You didn`t see them because you weren`t looking for them.
    Great news for you.
    No I think it is his pigeon shooting that is bringing them in - it is a well known fact that pigeons hate deer and while this isn't a problem for the larger deer it can cause munties a lot of trouble. The pigeons gang up on them and just carry them off to drop them all over the countryside. This is why they are often found dead beside the road in Scotland, or Ireland, or other places where they don't actually live.

By keeping the pigeon numbers down there aren't enough of them to carry the munties away and so now your careful habitat management efforts have paid off. Well done that man!!

well however they got there its nice to see them.
    I just need to get a rifle all the other gear and find someone to help me get into the sport as there is no way im going out after one till i know what im doing. would much rather get an experienced bloke out to stalk them first and just go with him to learn the ropes.

If you are already shooting pigeons you really, really don't need to go buying much gear. I have all the Musto stuff and so on but went back to using mil surplus windproof smocks and similar for my stalking and if you do a search for my cammo tests the old German surplus flecktarn came out at least as well as anything else.

What I'm trying to say, and you've sort of got it yourself, is that in my experience and opinion (and that might be worth sod all) you are better spending the cash on buying accompanied stalking days out to get the experience rather than on "gear" that as time goes by you will find you don't need or don't use much.

Decent binos are probably the main thing you need as a beginner and I had mine some years before I got the rifle. You don't need to spend big, big money on the top names to get something that will do everything you need for stalking and second hand is probably the most sensible way to buy such a thing. None the less the binos are probably key to your enjoyment of a stalking day so don't get something really useless either.

I've a friend who recently bought a Parker Hale rifle for about 200. He cleaned the stock up and re-oiled it and it looks really, really well and it shoots well too. There is a poster on this forum called Brithunter who is something of an expert on P-H rifles. So, again, if you are tight for cash and with a little advice you can get a rifle ideal for stalking for not a big pile of money.

When it comes to scopes they are almost as important as the binos but again you can buy well second hand and you don't need a fancy variable costing thousands. Something fixed magnification in 6X42 or 8X56 will probably do you a life time. Also the 2nd tier scope manufacturers such as Doctor and Meopta make good scopes at really good prices, specially second hand, so you don't need to pay top money.

Of course if the pigeons come back and start carrying the deer away again then you are in trouble.

thanks for that im always trying to keep the pigeons at bay to save crops so now i have the added incentive of keeping them from removing the deer.
    i think in the next month or so ill get some decent (money dependent) bino's as your right i do have the clothing.
    Recon i might just spend a few free evenings trying to locate them again and just reading their habits and generally getting to know my quarry.

Recon i might just spend a few free evenings trying to locate them again and just reading their habits and generally getting to know my quarry.

+1 for that.

Quote Originally Posted by filzee View Post
    thanks for that im always trying to keep the pigeons at bay to save crops so now i have the added incentive of keeping them from removing the deer.
    i think in the next month or so ill get some decent (money dependent) bino's as your right i do have the clothing.
    That and the fact i have only seen one roe and two muntys so would like to make sure there's a few about before thinking of taking any

after seeing 2 munties you better be prepared to see a hell of a lot more... happy days!