Rebarreling Sako 75

Had a look at their web site and prices look good. Dont know what the standard of workmanship or Customer service is though.

Dave

Chops

I met these guys at Diggle about 5 years ago and they are really decent fellas.

I know Vince Bottomley reviewed a rifle they built in Target Sports mag and it was a quarter inch rifle etc .

Thanks Jon,

I think that I will go with them, though I may change my calibre from 243 to 6x47 lapua...

Chops

After this thread prompted me to look at their website I then went one step further and called in to visit Chris when I was in the area a few days ago.

Basically I wouldn't hesitiate to go with these guys. Chris showed me a couple of rifles he had just completed and also work he had done including various F Class rigs. A couple winning consistently in that particular class. Very knowledgeable and a current stock of barrels already available.

In my opinion you have made a sound decision.

Regards

Jon

Jon,

I really appreicate your help with researching this one... rebarrellnig a rifle is no cheap task and I really want to get it right.

I will stick up some posts once the rifle is sorted and back on the range.

Thanks again for all you help

Chops

Nice one Chops

That sounds great - looking forward to hearing about the report/pics

Thanks

Jon

My Sako has arrived back from Rhino Rifles - I dropped it into the stock this evening after having a removed a little wood from the barrel channel to ensure it was free floating.

Now just have to make a stoney point gauge cartidge, measure up and build a few test loads... :D :D :D

If I work out how to upload pics I would post them ... sorry :eek:

Thanks for the update.

That is super quick. It doesn't seem long ago at all when you had decieded to go with them (weeks not months??).

Chris' work as I have seen myself is absolutely top draw and attention to detail is 100%

Did you go for the Lapua in the end?

Yes - I went for the 6*47 Lapua. Mad looking round - it is quite a bit smaller a 243 but seems to enjoy the higher pressures. I am trying to find my 7.37mm drill so I can make a stoney point cartridge for the OAL gauge :evil: They are buggers to get hold of over here!!!

The job looks a good'un, I just cannot wait to put it on the range and start working up some loads. Graham & Chris took 5wks to turn it around - nice. Plus they are both decent guys so I don't begrudge handing over the cash...

Cheers

Chops

First day at the range with my newly barrelled Sako. I first broke the barrel in with some old 90gr sierra's with a light H4895 load.

I was working up a loads using H4350 and berger 105gr VLD's, seated 2thou off of the lands with a .267" neck bushing. I started at 35gr and worked up through .5gr increments until I got a decent group - and then beyond. At 38gr the group was 0.54", then at 38.5gr it grouped at 0.24". I reloaded another 2 sets of 5 rounds and get two more groups of 0.36" & 0.31" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very pleased with my new barrel - loads more tinkering room though :evil:

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice about using Rhino - good guys indeed!

Cheers

Chops

Back