Thread: The relative cost of Binoculars

The relative cost of Binoculars

On Monday I was having a sort out of some old paperwork and came across the receipt and guarantee for my first set of proper bins.

In the early 80's I was a fanatical pigeon shooter and a decent pair of bins were an essential bit of kit as I rode around mid Shropshire on my RD250 looking for woodies.

I didn't have my own bins, but borrowed my Dads and so my grandmother said she buy me a pair. In those days it was a trip down to Argos and I became a proud owner of a pair of Zeiss Jenoptem 10x50W. They cost a grand sum of 67.99p on 07/08/87. They came with a lifetime guarantee!!!

Now fast forward 23 yrs and after much thought I purchased a set of Leica 10x42 Geovids HD, cost 1,500!!!! I had them and a pair of Zeiss Victories on trial for a week and chose the Leica's.

I compared them both and thought I would see how they compared to my old Zeiss, in truth the two brand new models were only marginally better at the very end of dusk than my old Zeiss, but obviously considerably better in terms of design and ergonomics.

Clearly the old E Germans knew a thing or two about precision glass, so it does make you wonder what progress has been made in lens/coatings technology to justify the huge price increase for minimal increase in optical performance.

Saying that I cannot fault my Leica's and it was a good purchase but is the current price justifiable?

D

I usually use my swarovski el's but if the weather is really bad i use my zeiss jena 8x32's that i had off ebay for 40!
    They aren't as good as the el's but they are a good set of binos with good glass!

Daz
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Sniper View Post
    I usually use my swarovski el's but if the weather is really bad i use my zeiss jena 8x32's that i had off ebay for 40!
    They aren't as good as the el's but they are a good set of binos with good glass!

Daz
    Why do you switch ?

I don't want to drown the el's

I don't like getting my stuff wet!

I had the Geovids and switched to the Zeiss RFs... Range finding bins are a bit of a rip off but I do think you are comparing apples with oranges somewhat. What is the price of a pair of NON range finding Leicas? probably 6-700 less (if not more) that is a more realistic comparison then let's work on the assumption that even in the 80's the Zeiss bins you had would not have been top shelf, in fact it's not an assumption, it's fact.. one of the professional stalkers I kow up in Sutherland still uses his 30 year old Zeiss bins and he paid about 800 quid for them back in the 80s so adjust for inflation there and, in fact, your top end glass is actually good value nowa-days!

If you look through a decent pair of Bushnells you won't see much difference, if any from a product from the top 3 costing 4x the amount... It's the range finding attributes that take the michael... don't get me wrong, I love mine but the cost difference between RF and non RF is hard to stomach, particularly when you look at the likes of Bushnell (again) Leica in particular are using old technology which isn't as good as the cheaper range finding gear (you can't even switch between metric & imperial) and, in my experience my Geovids wouldn't always give me a reading beyond 500 yards and in heavy rain they were unreliable... how they can charge the amount for their steam driven tech is beyond me!

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    how they can charge the amount for their steam driven tech is beyond me!
    And yet we continue to buy them. Who's the crazy party here?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I don't want to drown the el's

I don't like getting my stuff wet!
    Nothing like forking out for top quality glass, suitable for all conditions i.e. waterproof and then leaving them in the house. Can i lend em when it rains?

Quote Originally Posted by andibrains View Post
    Nothing like forking out for top quality glass, suitable for all conditions i.e. waterproof and then leaving them in the house. Can i lend em when it rains?
    No - buy your own!

best getting good second hand then cheep new

Daz
    Got a pair of the same ones, mint cont 5 from charity shop
    "Seek the wisdom of ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child"
    http://www.totally22.co.uk