Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any help advice much appreciated !

Any help advice much appreciated !

Hi there , I've Been shooting rifles for ten years and I like to think I'm allright at general vermin control being a farmer is part job part hobby .I shoot foxes n rabbits over about 2000 -3000 acres of arable , grassland and woodland . I'm extremely keen to get into deer stalking and I've gotten a few hundred acres of roe rich land approved . I shoot a .308 . I'm new to this game and so far this season I've had one successfull stalk out of 5 which I'm quite happy with

Basically I'd really appreciate your best tips and advice , once I get so I'm more confident I'd like to try my hand at some of the other species but at the moment it's mainly roe .

Know the ground and you'll know the deer.
    Get out as much as you can at varying times and match your routine to their routine.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Get DSC 1 and get experience and onto level 2! Very very handy!

Thank you , I struggle to get my head around deer habits , I'm used to shooting foxes and therefore never bother during daylight hours , whereas deer are always there , you just have to find them , am I right in thinking they are most active at dawn and dusk as that's when I've been doing most of my stalking

This is what I was advised when I first started stalking....Move little, look a lot!

I like going out after it has rained to look for fresh slots. That way I can concentrate my efforts on areas that the deer have been recently.

First and last light are key times, so go out before first light and if you are stalking in the evening don't go until it is too dark to shoot.

But most of all enjoy yourself!

Best of luck,
    Peri

Quote Originally Posted by Peri View Post
    This is what I was advised when I first started stalking....Move little, look a lot!

I like going out after it has rained to look for fresh slots. That way I can concentrate my efforts on areas that the deer have been recently.

First and last light are key times, so go out before first light and if you are stalking in the evening don't go until it is too dark to shoot.

But most of all enjoy yourself!

Best of luck,
    Peri
    Thanks just this evening I followed a mature buck at about 150 yrds for about 50 mins in the rain before he spotted me , I never thought the shot was safe . But previously this week I have overlooked a couple who have then gone crashing throu the undergrowth , frustrating . Whereabouts are you in west Sussex ? I'm close to the Surrey border

Try and get out on a few paid days with a professional stalker as you will learn a lot.

Save the cash and make the time to go to Scotland for red deer on the hill, hinds in the winter can be relatively inexpensive and as much sport as stags but for me it is hard to beat chasing red stags on the hill in September just for the whole experience. No matter how many gadgets and fancy bits of gear people tell you are necessary just ignore them, put the money saved into an account and use it for a day or two at red stags.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Try and get out on a few paid days with a professional stalker as you will learn a lot.

Save the cash and make the time to go to Scotland for red deer on the hill, hinds in the winter can be relatively inexpensive and as much sport as stags but for me it is hard to beat chasing red stags on the hill in September just for the whole experience. No matter how many gadgets and fancy bits of gear people tell you are necessary just ignore them, put the money saved into an account and use it for a day or two at red stags.
    Im intending on going to Scotland perhaps next year but I'm really hoping to hone some skills before then . Thanks for the gadget advice . I'm trying not to be one of the "all the gear , no idea " types as I so often see people fall into that trap in pheasant shooting !

you dont need lots of gear rifle , bullets , knife thats about it if your just getting a few for yourself . I would say build a few highseats , their good for foxing this time of year and if you take notice you will find where your roe are traveling and learn their habbits

As Caorach said, get out with a professional stalker, also get your DSC 1 done and get some of Richard Priors books on Roe, the more you learn about your quarry and their habits the more successfull you'll be. Don't forget it's also about managing them.