Stalking / Climbing deaths in Scotland

Jelendeer

Hi there,

I'm hoping some of you Scots guys can help me. We are currently doing some research, and for it I need to know how many human deaths occur in the Highlands of Scotland each year - preferably for the past 5 years.

I would like to know how many human deaths occur through falling, hypothermia, or other injuries whilst stalking (stalkers and clients).

I would also like to know how many deaths occur through falling, slipping, hypothermia amongst walkers and climbers.

I look forward to receiving any information, and if any stalkers know of - or were with a client when an accident occurred - I would be particularly interested in taking to you.

If anyone knows, or can advise me where I can find out this information, I would be grateful for your help

Best regards,

Can not give you exact figures, but three years ago four people died in Glen Coe in one week. I cannot think of one fatality while out stalking, guided or not.
The Scottish mountain council would be able to give figures, or try the rescue teams.
Cheers
Mick

There was a chap who died out stalking but it was a heart attack but i know no one has died stalking .That was one of the reasons why the legislation didn't go through unchallenged i am sure there were many threads on here about it. Because the then DCS now SNH had said there had been deaths caused through deer stalking directly or indirectly. They also said the standard of shooting was appalling it then was found out that the deer selected for the study were from the fc CONTRACTORS.:rofl:

Strange pairing of stats.... Stalking/Climbing.

As 6p has indicated, stalking deaths in Scotland are almost unheard of. The number works out at several years per death rather than deaths per year and even then the causes of death are usually nothing actually to do with the fact that stalking is the activity.

On the other hand, Hillwalkers and "Mountaineeeeeers" keep going up our mountains in the equivalent of their pyjamas and seem to drop off at a pretty regular rate, dozens per year. You have to admire the Darwin principle, don't you?

Why not go for a pairing of Stalking/Smoking... That'll give you a lot more deaths.

It's Ok, you don't need to pardon my sarcasm. But, you might take on board the observation.

Excellent stuff guys,

Many thanks for that. In just half an hour too.

Your help is much appreciated.

regards,

Can't give you figures, contact Scottish mountain council, they will help,know of some injury's while stalking and a couple of heart attacks but no fatality's.

Also know of two shepherds who lost their lives in the hills

I was a Mountain Rescue Team member 25 years now retired and was involved in my fair share of rescues thankfully most were not fatal, though involved with a fair few that were, its hard to generalise but I would say the vast majority of rescues were through ignorance by that I mean not being prepared for the conditions, very seldom called out for experienced hill men be they stalkers, shepherds or climbers, most were those that it would be a good idea to go for a stroll on the hill.

However it would be wrong to quote figures from my team as you want an overall figure, and other teams might have different experiences.

Scottish Mountain Council, should be able to give all the figures you need .

I heard tell of a French client a few years ago who was stalking near Dunoon. Apparently he was wearing nylon waterproof trousers, and he slipped on the heather and went down the hill like a toboggan! He died from the fall.

I was stalking with Colin Chisholm at the time, and it was one of the guys at the larder who was telling me the story.

Has anybody heard about this incident???

Regards,

I heard tell of a French client a few years ago who was stalking near Dunoon. Apparently he was wearing nylon waterproof trousers, and he slipped on the heather and went down the hill like a toboggan! He died from the fall.

I was stalking with Colin Chisholm at the time, and it was one of the guys at the larder who was telling me the story.

Regards,

This one was near the rest and be thankful. I had a look for an article but can't find anything. I remember it happening but couldn't be sure on the date. Must be 10-15 years ago.

I sense you're looking to sell a range of non-slip clothing or survival kits for stalkers or something? just curious...

I do a bit of mountaineering/climbing myself, I can think of numerous times where I could quite easily have died either from falling hundreds of feet or from hypothermia if I was unprepared,,but it's all in preparation, experience, and carrying the right gear. Whilst I agree it's not the smartest thing in the world to do safety wise, hanging off a 75 degree wall on buchaille etive moor with a sheer 1000ft drop below you is an experience that nothing else can compare to..."did you go up there to die?,,,,,no, I went up there to live" (can't recall source, but how true!)

sorry, don't know the stats you're after, but I do know that I could have perished a few times out on the hill in the winter if I broke an ankle and did not carry sufficient survival gear. travelling light is all good, but if you become immobile and cannot stay warm, etc. that's you done.

Try the BMC british mountaineering council, dont be put off by the word british as their tech advisors are very good with obtaining data Also association for mountain instructies als AMI also very good these should help and finally try mountain rescue teams i.e glencoe, glenshee etc who should be able to help. Hope this helps and let us know how you get on as I would be interested.

Ta

Mike
The French man who slid off the mountain in nylon trousers was stalking with Winston Churchill or one of his stalkers. If you need more information I have a mate that lives in that direction

i know its a month late but i have only just joined site
i was stalking at winstons at the time of the incident when french stalker died and it was caused by him slipping down a very wet hillside wearing waterproofs
the sad part was he had just shot a stag and winston went down the hill to find it and upon looking back up the hill to client for direction he saw the client sliding down until he hit rocks
his son was also stalking there with another of winstons stalkers and i think he was only around 14 years old
i hope this helps
regards andy

Evening,

Ask the MRT or if you are really serious about the research, contact police forces and place a freedom of information request. I wouldn't say all 8 Scottish police forces but defiantly northern, tayside, Grampian, strathclyde, possible Lothian and borders.

They should be able to help you out

Yes I heard about this, I think it was at Winston Churchills and it is a long time ago, in fact he was out with Winston I believe, so more than 15 years I reckon, I used to be a regular guest at Winstons.
FlyBoy270

Regards,

Back