Thread: Cheap alternative bedding material

Cheap alternative bedding material

Ladies and Gents,

I'm looking for a cheap alternative to devcon bedding material. It doesn't matter if it lasts as it will never see a shot fired, it will be used in a pattern stock for duplication into its final shape. Essentially I need a cheap and cheerful compound that will lock/grip to the stock, shape around the action, and retain its form for at least a week or two. It will also need to be able to work with a release agent as well of course, and not make a massive sticky mess on the action.

any thoughts?

Any 24hr cure epoxy glue like araldite from tube.
    Adjust the viscosity via mixing in talcum or baby powder.
    At least the 24hr cure epoxy gives you enough pot life, sticks better than isopon.
    Don't forget to use good release agent.
    The mess can be wiped away quite well with thinners or alcohol.

edi

Account Suspended
    Bonda Wood Fill.

It's a cataloy (like Isopon) but developed specifically for wood.

As for cheap... I've an old, but perfectly sound, 1.5kg tub sitting here in front of me with more than you'll need still in it. I'll let you have the tub and you can take as much as you need Free Of Charge if you let me have the remainder back after.

Is that cheap enough?

very generous offer Tamus, thank you, mind, I am not sure it will be worth the petrol to your neck of the woods from auld reekie?...

I do have isopon and miliput,,,I'm thinking perhaps just use one of those then..or will they not 'grip' the wood properly?...

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    very generous offer Tamus, thank you, mind, I am not sure it will be worth the petrol to your neck of the woods from auld reekie?...

I do have isopon and miliput,,,I'm thinking perhaps just use one of those then..or will they not 'grip' the wood properly?...
    We're in Auld Reekie at some point almost every week. My wife works there and our son and daughter both live there. Just drop me a line if you want to make arrangements. But your Isopon will probably be OK, just go light on the catalyst and give yourself a bit of pot life.

ps. Working in cooler conditions also helps
    Last edited by Tamus; 10-05-2012 at 10:56. Reason: added ps.

I have used the West Systems epoxy mixed with micro fibres - very tough and strong. There are other fillers that are even tougher. Used by boat builders on wooden boats and you can get a kit from bosuns locker at port Edgar marina at south queens ferry . I have added a bit of brown burnt ochre to give it a dark colour.

I have also used it to reinforce big bolts that bolt engine mounts into wooden bearers in a boat - mix it the fibres into the epoxy to thick penut butter consister. Oil the coach bolt -so it doesn't stick, fill the hole with epoxy and screw it in and leave to harden - totall withstands the stress and vibration of single cylinder diesels - mich more than recoil load in a fire arm.

I'm in Edinburgh and can let you have some if needs be.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 17-05-2012 at 16:27.