Basc survey

ksb

Just wondering if many members have completed the basc survey online that was emailed out. I am interested in knowing what the general views are on how their service could be improved. In my region my complaint is the lack of days / courses run and when a course is scheduled ie dogs for deer, the price is almost prohibitive and generally ends in cancellation. I was keen on the carcass handling course that was scheduled last year but again the cost was very expensive

we were promised a 'head preparation day course' but this was cancelled due to lack of interest ,shame, cus this would have been useful.

there are many other one day courses that could be useful, eg rifle maintenance, disease recognition, lymph node inspections. to name but a few....

I've been a basc member now for a long time and I also find most of their courses etc not just stalking related ones are expensive.

I haven't received any emails of courses or any info???
Might be because i'm north of the border and they don't do any???

I haven't received any emails of courses or any info???
Might be because i'm north of the border and they don't do any???

you should send them an email and ask to be added to the fasttrack list. The basc will send out updates etc once a month i think it is,

keith

Regarding the BASC days,

Oldest boy was keen a mustard to go to one in North Ayrshire, we very seldom get the opportunity to attend something as local as this (as stated & I agree with russuian sniper and pilgrim mich) as most of the days/courses aren't West Coast based and involve a fair bit of travelling to attend.

Anyway, the estate and the wildfowling club were putting on the Young Shots Day to include Airgun training, decoying, gun dog demo's etc and it all looked good. My son (9) even started reading up on bits and bobs in anticipation and my long suffering wife bought him a new smock/trousers set so he was chuffed to bits.

Fast forward a week before the much anticipated day and it's cancelled due to only 3 young shot applicants.??

Big let down and wee man was gutted.
I was amazed at the lack of support considering the catchment area local to the estate (Renfrewshire, North/South Ayrshire) and the relatively active shooting community.
It was 20 quid which I felt was a worthwhile investment for the next generation but maybe some folk felt this was too much, I'm not sure?
Bearing in mind the organisers were willing to give up their free time to pass on training & educate the shooters of the future it seemed a fair deal to me.

BASC refunded and sent through a free Clay coaching lesson to be used at any Game Fairs they will be at which cheered him up a bit but I'm not sure what the answer is to improve attendance or how to get more young ones on these types of days.

Maybe better exposure of events outwith the BASC magazine & in other shooting publications would help draw attendance? Lower the costs? Higher frequency of emails and updates from country specific HQ's????

Who knows, difficult to call. It seems like a great opportunity missed to introduce potential new comers or further develop the youngsters skills in field craft & now wonder if these types of days will still be considered again by the estate/clubs involved in the future?

No info = No support = No Days?

Rb

Regarding the BASC days,

Oldest boy was keen a mustard to go to one in North Ayrshire, we very seldom get the opportunity to attend something as local as this (as stated & I agree with russuian sniper and pilgrim mich) as most of the days/courses aren't West Coast based and involve a fair bit of travelling to attend.

Anyway, the estate and the wildfowling club were putting on the Young Shots Day to include Airgun training, decoying, gun dog demo's etc and it all looked good. My son (9) even started reading up on bits and bobs in anticipation and my long suffering wife bought him a new smock/trousers set so he was chuffed to bits.

Fast forward a week before the much anticipated day and it's cancelled due to only 3 young shot applicants.??

Big let down and wee man was gutted.
I was amazed at the lack of support considering the catchment area local to the estate (Renfrewshire, North/South Ayrshire) and the relatively active shooting community.
It was 20 quid which I felt was a worthwhile investment for the next generation but maybe some folk felt this was too much, I'm not sure?
Bearing in mind the organisers were willing to give up their free time to pass on training & educate the shooters of the future it seemed a fair deal to me.

BASC refunded and sent through a free Clay coaching lesson to be used at any Game Fairs they will be at which cheered him up a bit but I'm not sure what the answer is to improve attendance or how to get more young ones on these types of days.

Maybe better exposure of events outwith the BASC magazine & in other shooting publications would help draw attendance? Lower the costs? Higher frequency of emails and updates from country specific HQ's????

Who knows, difficult to call. It seems like a great opportunity missed to introduce potential new comers or further develop the youngsters skills in field craft & now wonder if these types of days will still be considered again by the estate/clubs involved in the future?

No info = No support = No Days?

Rb

RB tell your son not to hold his breath, BASC Scotland and young shots if it is not on there own patch east coast areas or perthshire it is not going to happen ,I've brought this up a loads of meeting over the years that all the courses for everything are the same .

The west of Scotland does not exist ,and of course it is a money project all the time .

RB tell your son not to hold his breath, BASC Scotland and young shots if it is not on there own patch east coast areas or perthshire it is not going to happen ,I've brought this up a loads of meeting over the years that all the courses for everything are the same .

The west of Scotland does not exist ,and of course it is a money project all the time .

That certainly seems to be the case WS,

Sadly in the last three years of actively looking, this was the first course local(ish) to us over here to attend.

Would be interesting to see how many members (geographically) within say the Dumbartonshire, Renfrewshire, Inverclyde, North/South Ayrshire catchement area who feel poorly served , or indeed well served by training days and the like from BASC

Back