Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ** HMR Ammunition Database - Please add your batch number to it **

** HMR Ammunition Database - Please add your batch number to it **

After thinking about it for ages I have pulled my finger out and put up a public spreadsheet.
    Please add your batch numbers and details of split neck, misfires, squibs etc.
    I have started off the proceedings from another post on BBS

I have put this up on Pigeon Watch and AirgunBBS
    Please feel free to repost anywhere else.
    If Mods can sticky this it would help

I personally would be interested if there is a common theme between manufacturer/brand and/or batch number and the problems associated with poor QA

Welcome to Google Docs

A visiting friend had a Squib round just this last weekend, lucky we could drop a rod down & knocked it out, never thought to note the batch number, I'll see if I can get it from him.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

From day 1 I have always used Remington Premier Magnum Rimfire 17 HMR 17gr Accutip-V boat tail
    Never ever had a problem with any batch used

funny, every batch of Remington I have ever purchased has had split necks at some point.
    no issue with POI or squibs though

Just remembered, 17 grain Blue tips.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    funny, every batch of Remington I have ever purchased has had split necks at some point.
    no issue with POI or squibs though
    Surely split necks must be more due to a chamber problem rather than faulty ammo?... A case can't split if it fits the chamber perfectly.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

But the case neck can split, if the case neck is off spec, as in rubbish ammo prep look out!!, if I had not exclaimed "Do not put another round up that!", Some serious happenings would have gone off, during the use of the particular arm in question, a split neck indicates that something is off kilter!!... IE; specs are not being adhered to!............ therefore results will be different to those expected!, advertised!

Is it worth adding another column to include rifle used? I have never had a problem with any 17hmr ammo.

Not trying to make out one rifle is better than the other but it may shed further light on the problem if some rifles have slightly different chamber sizes that compound the issue.

Mel
    A pat on the back is often just a recce for the knife.

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    Is it worth adding another column to include rifle used? I have never had a problem with any 17hmr ammo.

Not trying to make out one rifle is better than the other but it may shed further light on the problem if some rifles have slightly different chamber sizes that compound the issue.

Mel
    good call.

The case splits because the brass is work hardened and the split is already present.
    You can feel them before you shoot
    I believe that a split case can allow moisture entry, even a tiny amount. that is going to affect charge combustion

have added a column

just added mine! we need more to do the same.