Thread: Muzzle threads

Muzzle threads

What's the best way to find out what thread is cut on your barrel,somebody replied to my muzzle brake I've got for sell on here and asked me that question so I am asking the audience.

I've looked on the Jackson Rifles website at the specification for the AU-SL5, and have copied the following text from the .pdf.

The AU SL5 adds only 410 grams net weight and 98 mm net length to a typical rifle.
    The AU SL-series is available with a variety of internal threads to fit directly onto the rifle barrel.
    Standard threads include "x20 UNF, "x28 UNEF, 9/16"x24 UNEF, 5/8"x18 UNF, 5/8"x24 UNEF,
    M14x1, M15x1, M17x1 and M18x1 to suit most centrefire rifles.

I suspect that your thread will be one of the above, so get your callipers out and measure the diameter and pitch and see which measurements come closest to what is on your rifle. Toss a coin to start with the metric options or the Imperial options. To measure the threads, measure the groove to groove length of as many threads as there are and then divide by the number of threads to get the approximate pitch.

Once you've reached an opinion, try and find someone who has a mod with the same thread and try it (carefully).

Good luck. JCS

Thanks for that bud,hopefully the chap who enquirer about my brake for sell will read this thread!,atb swarovski

Whats the exact diameter of the threading (outside diameter, not root diameter)

Buy a cheap set of thread gauges and measure the outside diameter. UNF / metric can be very close and if poorly cut, it will be possible to interchange. If screwing anything other than the mod onto the barrel be ultra careful as threads can damage easily or worse still pick up.

Take it to your local gun shop and ask them - they will normally be able to tell straight away

Quote Originally Posted by remmy700 View Post
    Buy a cheap set of thread gauges and measure the outside diameter. UNF / metric can be very close and if poorly cut, it will be possible to interchange. If screwing anything other than the mod onto the barrel be ultra careful as threads can damage easily or worse still pick up.
    I agree with remmy700, I checked mine recently using thread gauges, you cab get then quite cheaply from about 10