Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Age limit

Age limit

Hi everyone,
    Could someone tell me if there is an age limit for the DSC 1.
    My son is very interested and I would like to know how soon he could do it.

Thanks

F.

I did talk to a feo on the subject after the last time this came up and he said that young people could possibly be granted a temporary certificate like a visitors permit to use a nominated rifle for the tests. This hasn't been done yet though to my knowledge but it would be on a case by case basis and level 1 would certainly be a good reason for such a grant of a temporary permit to meet the legal requirement for using a rifle.

Certainly though there is no age limit to do level 1 but sorting out the permit would be the tricky bit.

The easiest way would be for the shooting element to take place at a Home Office approved club in accordance with the rules relevant to approved clubs either as a member of that club or as a guest on a notified guest day. The ammunition used would of course be non expanding. In the case of our club the age would be a minimum of 14 for centrefire rifles due to insurance limitations and club rules.
    Last edited by 8x57; 12-05-2012 at 11:24.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

That's ok if the kid is 14!

It could be that some clubs do not have a minimum age but the kid would still have to be physically capable of handling and firing the rifle unaided from the three positions. No doubt some kids are large enough and have the physical atributes to do so especially if using something like a light to medium weight .222rem.

I suggest that you contact Jon Snowdon, (local to you) at Greenleadeer he runs DSC1 courses and is an accredited witness too, you can probably get his address via "roestalker" on the SD site. I have done the DSC1 course there, and it was really well run

Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    I suggest that you contact Jon Snowdon, (local to you) at Greenleadeer he runs DSC1 courses and is an accredited witness too, you can probably get his address via "roestalker" on the SD site. I have done the DSC1 course there, and it was really well run
    Not quite sure how this helps as regards the age question Patrick, or are you simply recommending Jon Snowdon in general as regards DSC courses?

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    I did talk to a feo on the subject after the last time this came up and he said that young people could possibly be granted a temporary certificate like a visitors permit to use a nominated rifle for the tests. This hasn't been done yet though to my knowledge but it would be on a case by case basis and level 1 would certainly be a good reason for such a grant of a temporary permit to meet the legal requirement for using a rifle.

Certainly though there is no age limit to do level 1 but sorting out the permit would be the tricky bit.
    On our last DscL1 course we had a young lad aged sixteen using his fathers rifle on a temporary certificate for the duration of the course
    Best regards..Dave

Hello all,

There are issues here and speaking from experience we have had 2 youngsters taking the course in the past.

1) Unless the candidate has his own FAC it cannot be done apart from using a a home office approved range.

2) If the candidate does have their own FAC (14 and above) then they have to be accompanied by their parent or guardian for their practical shooting and safety assessment and have their own rifle. The estate rifle facility cannot be used until they are 17.

3) In the above case (14+)they would also have to have the wording on their FAC "any land deemed suitable by the chief constable of that area" and not a closed ( named land only) certificate. they cannot under any circumstances use the estate rifle facility until they are 17.

4) If they didn't have the clause above (14+) then they may be able, via the parent or guardian, to get a variation purely for the course.

5) Temporary certificates are not commonly issued.

Hope that helps.

Best regards.

Roestalker.
    Last edited by roestalker; 12-05-2012 at 17:48.