Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223 and get rid of .243??

.223 and get rid of .243??

I was just wondering whether to "create" a specific foxing rifle in .223 and get rid of my .243. I have a 308 also, so was thinking of having this as my deer rifle and picking up a really light weight .223 i can walk round the paddocks with at night, specifically for fox. My main question i suppose is would i regret outing the .243 in future? My .243 was kind of an all rounder, but always thought it wasnt a specific foxing rifle and marginal on the larger fallow. Having .223, ,243 and 308 is too many calibres i feel, costs, scopes etc, and I would like to simplify things. Thoughts??!

Blaser R93 with .22-250/.243/.308 barrels
    All the cases have the same head (.308) so only 1 bolt required
    .308 magazine can be used for .243 and .308
    1 scope on saddle mount that can be swapped between calibres and adjustment noted for calibre swap.

SORTED!

Daz
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

Don't know what .243 rifle you have, but another option could be to have it re-barrelled to .22-250

I think what you are suggesting is very sensible. I would rather have a .223 for foxes anyday than the .243, especially in a true micro action such as the Sako or CZ. Sure, the .243 has better ballistics - but it burns about twice as much powder to achieve them. And it has half the barrel life. For me, the 243 is an obnoxious varmint rifle, and a fairly average deer rifle. I'd much rather have a proper varmint rifle and a proper stalking rifle, rather than their b@$tard spawn in the form of a .243. The .243 is ideal in some roles - it is my ideal chamois rifle, and i could see the appeal for hunting smaller deer at longer ranges. But really except in such limited applications, i find it to be a fairly unpleasant compromise.

And for what it's worth, i have a .223 and a .243. And when i was younger, shot foxes for a buck, and i can tell you that the smaller capacity cartridges where much preferred. With a .17 rem, .222 or .223 you could expect to knock over several foxes in the one paddock, whereas start blazing away with a .22-250 or .243 and they would all disappear very quickly and the additional muzzle flash would ruin your night vision.
    Last edited by brenneke; 12-05-2012 at 11:21.

I have a .223 and a .308 and while there is room for a rifle in between there's never been a time when having say a .243 would have changed anything. I nail most of my deer with the .308 and the little ones like munties or if I ever get a thump at cwd can be taken very cleanly with the .223.

In my opinion the .243 would be the perfect gun if all you ever shot was roe but for foxing it's hardly a cost saving calibre. Having said that my .308 has been my rifle of choice on foxes for 15 years because lets face it, it sends charlie a clear message and I mean it! I just got another t3 varmint in .223 with a wild cat mod so I'm calming down a bit on the costs but that is until it's a windy night .

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Sniper View Post
    Blaser R93 with .22-250/.243/.308 barrels
    All the cases have the same head (.308) so only 1 bolt required
    .308 magazine can be used for .243 and .308
    1 scope on saddle mount that can be swapped between calibres and adjustment noted for calibre swap.

SORTED!

Daz
    Well I actually have a blaser, 2 barrels, 243 and 308, 2 scopes. Nothing wrong with the rifle, and the set up, I know it doesnt take long to switch things, but when ive come in from a late evening stalk and then go straight out lamping its still not as easy as grabbing a seperate rifle!, maybe me just being lazy!! A friend brought a .223 t3 lite round a few months back and we walked round the sheep at night, it was amazing how i hardly noticed the weight, even when dressed with bipod, mod etc. I have found a t3 lite for 575, excellent condition, where as a new blaser 'foxing' barrel would be 750. (barrel only). Hence why im tempted to just have 2 seperates ???

You can get the barrels s/hand off guntrader/gunstar etc... for less than 750
    The barrel should come with a calibre specific mag and bolt head.

Daz

The other thing! Why i ended up with all these different calibres over the years was partly down to the police. First i was issued a 223 for fox (years ago) then i wanted to control deer, so was only permitted the minimum at the time, a 243, then i wanted to go boar hunting so had a 30-06, and well with regard to the deer could never decide which one to take out! Had all this expense in different rifles and scopes, and felt that with the way the legislation was, it actually meant individuals having more rifles, and more in circulation. Anyway, i guess thats another topic!

Yep i know what you mean mate!
    I'm still thinking about getting a .243 barrel for my R93 if you are looking at selling it to pay for the .223

Daz

Yep, I know how you feel Boarboy
    Had they given me what I wanted first time I would have one rifle in the cabinet, maybe two at most, not the 4 I have now
    Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    The other thing! Why i ended up with all these different calibres over the years was partly down to the police. First i was issued a 223 for fox (years ago) then i wanted to control deer, so was only permitted the minimum at the time, a 243, then i wanted to go boar hunting so had a 30-06, and well with regard to the deer could never decide which one to take out! Had all this expense in different rifles and scopes, and felt that with the way the legislation was, it actually meant individuals having more rifles, and more in circulation. Anyway, i guess thats another topic!
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work