Gut hook!

TGEvans

Hi guys. Not sure best way to go, Blade with a Gut hook or a stand alone gut hook? I have a great Helle knife that I do all my fieldwork and skinning with, so dont really need to be carrying another knife. I have had a quick look at the gerber ez zip and the kershaw guthook, and on the BDS site they advertise a Mora Guthook. Is one better than the other and is there anything else out there? All info appreciated, Tim.

Hi guys. Not sure best way to go, Blade with a Gut hook or a stand alone gut hook? I have a great Helle knife that I do all my fieldwork and skinning with, so dont really need to be carrying another knife. I have had a quick look at the gerber ez zip and the kershaw guthook, and on the BDS site they advertise a Mora Guthook. Is one better than the other and is there anything else out there? All info appreciated, Tim.

I have a Mora guthook. It is really a larder style piece of kit, ie with a handle as opposed to a finger hole, but is sharp, versatile and works extremely well

Ideally you should learn to use a knife however should want a "gut hook" why don't you try a Swingblade - make sure you buy the right one, plenty of threads on the site about them.
Willie

I have a Gerber ez zip and think its great. I have it on my belt next to my knife, I can manage without it but I'm quicker and cleaner with it.

Rick

Get your self a tripe knife and you wont look back V clean and easy but as others have said you should be able to do it with a normal blade but by the rational used about being stuck if you dont have the tripe knife or gut hook with you; you would be even more stick if you dont have the knife with you!!!!!!! I got one from bush wear, it was less than £20 and has done 40-50 animals and I have never sharpend it and it still works just fine.

Dave

Def not a guthook on the back of the blade of a knife - gets in the way and can cause difficulty getting the knife back out ( on bleeding for example). As others have said, if you want a separate tool, get a tripe knife/swingblade/flip'n'zip

Agreed with posts which suggest you get/use a tripe knife
Mora do a nice little button tipped blade about two inches or so long, really handy
Small enough to fit easily in a pocket or pouch, their tripe knife is great too, but more suited to use in the larder

Back