Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gut hook!

Gut hook!

Hi guys. Not sure best way to go, Blade with a Gut hook or a stand alone gut hook? I have a great Helle knife that I do all my fieldwork and skinning with, so dont really need to be carrying another knife. I have had a quick look at the gerber ez zip and the kershaw guthook, and on the BDS site they advertise a Mora Guthook. Is one better than the other and is there anything else out there? All info appreciated, Tim.

You don't need a gut hook. Learn to do it without. Otherwise you'll come to rely on it and one day be without.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by TGEvans View Post
    Hi guys. Not sure best way to go, Blade with a Gut hook or a stand alone gut hook? I have a great Helle knife that I do all my fieldwork and skinning with, so dont really need to be carrying another knife. I have had a quick look at the gerber ez zip and the kershaw guthook, and on the BDS site they advertise a Mora Guthook. Is one better than the other and is there anything else out there? All info appreciated, Tim.
    I have a Mora guthook. It is really a larder style piece of kit, ie with a handle as opposed to a finger hole, but is sharp, versatile and works extremely well

I have a gut hook, but have never used it, always just used a blade between my fingers.

Ideally you should learn to use a knife however should want a "gut hook" why don't you try a Swingblade - make sure you buy the right one, plenty of threads on the site about them.
    Willie

I have a Gerber ez zip and think its great. I have it on my belt next to my knife, I can manage without it but I'm quicker and cleaner with it.

Rick

I did have a knife with a gut hook on it years ago. I only used it once or twice and have never used one since.

Get your self a tripe knife and you wont look back V clean and easy but as others have said you should be able to do it with a normal blade but by the rational used about being stuck if you dont have the tripe knife or gut hook with you; you would be even more stick if you dont have the knife with you!!!!!!! I got one from bush wear, it was less than 20 and has done 40-50 animals and I have never sharpend it and it still works just fine.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    You don't need a gut hook. Learn to do it without. Otherwise you'll come to rely on it and one day be without.
    Your right , and the same can be said about a knife

SD Regular
    Def not a guthook on the back of the blade of a knife - gets in the way and can cause difficulty getting the knife back out ( on bleeding for example). As others have said, if you want a separate tool, get a tripe knife/swingblade/flip'n'zip
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........