Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RPA Woodland Stalker....Opinions from owners, & people who have actually used one

RPA Woodland Stalker....Opinions from owners, & people who have actually used one

Been thinking of getting a short barreled rifle for woodland stalking, for a while. Original thought was to buy a standard rifle I liked in a .308, then have it cut, re-crowned, and threaded.

But I'm now considering an RPA Woodland Stalker. Money aside, I'm a little concerned about the weight, as it seems heavy at 4kg before fitting a scope, & mod'.

Opinions from owners, or people who have actually tried one ?

Mark.

Do not own one Mark but if its what you fancy do not let the weight put you off, had my Howa Varmint chopped to 18" and its just right imo, with a Niggeloh Backpack sling its very comfortable to carry. I used to carry a old HW80 around all day in my hand as a kid and that weighed a bit! People worry too much about the weight, how do they manage with a 45lb Roe on their back?

Have a look at Bergara Apex compact(6.5x57 but any calibre available, a client of mine brought one with him, its tiny, light and balanced but only single shot. It shot really well on the range. .5" group at 100m

I have a GP Hunter, and it is a real tack driver. Not sure you need such accuracy for close range work in woods though. What about a Scout SM or Ruger, ideal for woods.

Mate has one. Never ending problems despite choosing a common calibre and would sell it in a heartbeat, if he could get his money back.

He has no confidence in it now, so it spends most of the time languishing in the safe whilst he uses his old battered (but trusted) Heym.

I've shot it on a few occassions - and during one very long day trying to get it group consistently. Can't say i was overly impressed.
    Last edited by scotsgun; 12-05-2012 at 20:19.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll look into a couple of them.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun View Post
    Mate has one. Never ending problems despite choosing a common calibre and would sell it in a heartbeat, if he could get his money back.

He has no confidence in it now, so it spends most of the time languishing in the safe whilst he uses his old battered (but trusted) Heym.

I've shot it on a few occassions - and during one very long day trying to get it group consistently. Can't say i was overly impressed.

Scotsgun,

Thanks, but it's really hard to make a judgement based on the contents of your post, not knowing what the endless problems are, or why they can't be rectified ? Again, poor grouping from one rifle, from a manufacturer generally known for it's accuracy, isn't enough on it's own to put me off.

I guess there's always going to be the occasional bad gun, regardless of who the manufacturer is.

We'll see.

Mark.

ive heard the same as scotsgun. triggers falling to bits . better off getting your mate north of the wall to rebarrel that 243 sako to 308 with a shorter custom barrel . at least it would be easier to shift when you put your next variation in !!!! LOL

ATB Steve

I could be wrong but I heard something about RPA no longer trading?????

If that is the case I would definitely be looking for something else.

Steer well clear, they are in a total shambles at the moment. A colleague ordered a batch of 6 actions from them for builds, and the QC was abysmal, action faces were well out of square, varying thread sizes, bolt faces not square, scratches, machining marks. He sent the actions back with a bill for wasting his time with a load of crap, and funnily enough RPA (or whatever they are called this month) agreed with him.
    They have very few skilled employees left at the factory, most of it is outsourced, and they just headspace barrels and do final assembly.

Ok, sufficient negative to put me off.

Steve,

Have thought about playing with the Sako, but it just shoots too well as it is.

Mark.