RPA Woodland Stalker....Opinions from owners, & people who have actually used one

I had same dilemma in the end went for a SAKO finlight
went to gunsmith saturday to see it come out of the box

just what I wanted

waiting for variation and optilocks to come cannot wait

I actually ordered it about 7 weeks ago, but Edgar Brothers were waiting for stock to come back from proofing. They indicated it would be 2 weeks, but the rifle only arrived with my RFD yesterday afternoon :rolleyes: and he's doing me a real favour turning it around so quickly.

Anyway, that covers the short range stalking, next on the list is a long range bunny basher, so I can try, and keep up with my mates :D

Hmmmm now that opens a can or worms does it not?

So what cartridge do you have in mind for bashing those poor lickle Wabbits in the next county?

Well, like you say, a can of worms, and I'm sure there will be many opinions :eek:

I'll start with my current front runner is a 6mm-284, 28, or 30" 1:8 barrel, custom action, & AICS stock, aiming to shoot 105g Amax, or similar.

And see what abuse that gets me :D

My friend says the way I shoot, I'd be better off with a 20mm Anzio, whatever that is :-| :D

Well, like you say, a can of worms, and I'm sure there will be many opinions :eek:

I'll start with my current front runner is a 6mm-284, 28, or 30" 1:8 barrel, custom action, & AICS stock, aiming to shoot 105g Amax, or similar.

My friend says the way I shoot, I'd be better off with a 20mm Anzio, whatever that is :-| :D
Hi Lateral
I think by using a long barrel and long action you have ruined it for many - they wont be able to have a moan about short actions and barrels :ban:

a lad i got my rpa off has a 6x284 he uses it for foxing with 70 grain blizkings. 4000 fps ! its on its last legs now and second barrel soon to be 3rd barrel:lol:

Jay,

Yes it's going to be a barrel burner, but it's not going to be the type of rifle you put a lot of rounds through, in a short space of time, a little like a stalking rifle.

I have slots for 6-284, 7mm, .300, & .338. I'm discounting the last two, but have thought about a 7mm. Just going to have to use a much heavier bullet, to get anywhere near the 6mm BC's.

Always open to suggestions though ???

Jay,

Yes it's going to be a barrel burner, but it's not going to be the type of rifle you put a lot of rounds through, in a short space of time, a little like a stalking rifle.

I have slots for 6-284, 7mm, .300, & .338. I'm discounting the last two, but have thought about a 7mm. Just going to have to use a much heavier bullet, to get anywhere near the 6mm BC's.

Always open to suggestions though ???

go for it its a cracker. eye opening foxing round. fast and flat shooting. great in the wind. what isnt to like :D

go for it its a cracker. eye opening foxing round. fast and flat shooting. great in the wind. what isnt to like :D

Hummmmm perhaps the fact that you need to replace the barrel every other week? ;)

I'll bet the smith loves him though :D.

Well, one of my friends is running a 22-284, and that is crazy. Runs 80g at circa 3680fps, twist is wrong for 75g's, which just come apart.

So, what's a good alternative to the 6-284 ?

Well, one of my friends is running a 22-284, and that is crazy. Runs 80g at circa 3680fps, twist is wrong for 75g's, which just come apart.

So, what's a good alternative to the 6-284 ?

what about 6mm remington ai. or just good old standard 6mm remington. only trouble is they only do winchester or remmy brass.[ not to bad if its prepped i guess]

or what about 6x47. that looks a cracking varmint round

Last edited:
Did anyone else see an old guns and ammo article by Ross Seyfreid on the 6mm Mach IV. Basically a 7mm Rem Mag necked down to 6mm with a 40 degree ackley shoulder I think. The only buillets that could stand the velocity (in excess of 4000 fps were Barnes monometals from what I recall. Barrel life approximately 500 rounds!!

Back