Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Straight Pull or Standard Bolt??

Straight Pull or Standard Bolt??

Have been very interested in the various manufacturers who make 'straight pull' bolt action rifles but I'd like to know any other members opinons as to if its worth limiting your choice of stalking rifle down to a few simply to have a quicker second shot?

Thanks in advance! FNF

Get to know your rifle and you can be just as fast with a turn bolt as you can with a straight pull.

7 shots in 10.5 seconds

Just a point here. Some straight pulls are much slower to operate than some turn bolts so be careful.

Also a lot of people seem to think/assume that straight pulll bolt operation is fairly new it's not. Mannlicher for one were making them in 1890.

I suggest if possible you try a few and see which fits you best and which feels best to you then decide.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy s View Post
    Get to know your rifle and you can be just as fast with a turn bolt as you can with a straight pull.

7 shots in 10.5 seconds
    Wonder how many he could have got off with a Blaser? (or 2 before someone points out the mag limits with an R8!)

I have a blaser. I would say it depends what you intend to do with the rifle. For general uk stalking/shooting I think a bolt action is fine, the blaser does come into its own when I use it on driven boar. Just watch some of the you tube clips. Very nice to shoot, very quick to reload.

I'm an R8 shooter and, yes the straight pull bolt is a bit faster. But you can reload a turnbolt very fast with practice, too - although it is much more difficult with the 90 degree bolt lift of most twin lug designs. A rear locking design like the Steyr 69/72 or Sauer 90 are probably very nearly as fast. Yes, you have to lift the bolt, but the actual bolt throw is reduced by more than a third.

But of all the Blaser features, the straight pull bolt is probably the one i am least interested in. It is sometimes handy, but not a big deal.

There was an instructor at the Army small arms school who hit a 10 inch plate at 100 yards 37 times in one minute using a Lee Enfield. Not sure how many he missed though!,
    Not bad considering he had to reload at least three times.

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    Wonder how many he could have got off with a Blaser? (or 2 before someone points out the mag limits with an R8!)
    He has a Blaser as well but hardly ever uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimmick View Post
    There was an instructor at the Army small arms school who hit a 10 inch plate at 100 yards 37 times in one minute using a Lee Enfield. Not sure how many he missed though!,
    Not bad considering he had to reload at least three times.
    Hmmm I thought the distance was at 200. Also they do not remove the magazine but charge the magazine in the rifle using the 5 Rnd chargers. What some call stripper clips but in British terms chargers .

If your down near Bisley during the Imperial meeting may I suggest you wander over and watch the "Mad Minute" if your there when it's shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Hmmm I thought the distance was at 200. Also they do not remove the magazine but charge the magazine in the rifle using the 5 Rnd chargers. What some call stripper clips but in British terms chargers .

If your down near Bisley during the Imperial meeting may I suggest you wander over and watch the "Mad Minute" if your there when it's shot.
    May well have been 200, and yes as you say reloading is with chargers not magazine changes, very impressive stuff. Not been beaten, since to my knowledge.