Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal powershock 150gn cloning

Federal powershock 150gn cloning

Went to the range after fitting a moderator to my old 30.06 parker hale and printed groups like this with federal powershock 150 gn[ATTACH=CONFIG]15485[/ATTACH
    has anyone cloned these rounds in 30.06? Anyone know what powder/bullet/primer they use?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20120512_191949.jpg  

Primers are easy Federal ones the powder will not be available as ammunition factories get bulk lost that are not the same as canister powders. The factory will develop a load using that batch of powder and then do the same for the next batch. The Federal web sight should have information on the bullet in you cartridges.

Nice shooting BTW. Always get a grin when things like this are posted especially when I think of all the times I have heard people dismissing them as it's only an old Parker-Hale .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    it's only an old Parker-Hale .
    ...with cheap factory ammo! LOL...If I had that group with factory ammo, I'd seriously not bother going through the reloading process and leave that 'setup' as done and dusted and ready off the shelf for the next outing.

The same ammo in 308 shoots similar groups in my Blaser, I can't get any better by reloading though that is probably limited by my shooting ability.

I guess that you could measure the OAL and use a chrono to measure the velocity and try to match both with a home load but I'm willing to bet that if you find a good local supply of bullets and powder you will soon be able to work up a load that shoots just as well as that, maybe better.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

I've an old mauser action with a second hand PH barrel fitted, as a farm tool (it rides on the quad & back of the ute)
    I picked up 7 or 8 boxes (can't remember exactly) of fedral 130grn for $100 Aus from a mates shop to try when it was rebarreled from 30 06.
    They shoot the same as above, hits matchboxes at 170 meters.I'm usually a reloader.But why for this rifle?
    Killed enough pigs, chital & fallow to know the pill works on this sized game too.

Big fan of PH rifles for reliability & the federal ammo is working for me at the moment.

I haven't pulled a round but if its stick powder I wouldn't be surprised if its Aussie made ( & re branded),if its ball then no, the double based stuff is to temp sensitive for most of us.

Cheers Sharkey

Try IMR 4350. That is a good group but common enough with a well tuned 30-06 load.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by nicholiath View Post
    Went to the range after fitting a moderator to my old 30.06 parker hale and printed groups like this with federal powershock 150 gn[ATTACH=CONFIG]15485[/ATTACH
    has anyone cloned these rounds in 30.06? Anyone know what powder/bullet/primer they use?
    "cloning" factory ammo, sure why not?

Or you might develop another load completely that shoots just as well, if not better.

If the rifle is capable of the basic accuracy then load development is usually very easy.

The federal powershock bullets are occasionally avaliable, check Midway uk, the cases and primers are easy but the powder may present a challenge.

Seeing as how you're changing a major component of the load, the powder, you will have to work up a new load anyway.

I guess I'm saying that chasing this exact load may well be pointless, develop a load like it or keep shooting factory ammo.

Thanks for all the replies i was just wondering. I do home load for this rifle with h4895 and sierra pro hunter bullets which produce a slightly larger group which i am happy with. just exploring the cloning thing as i am not prepared to pay 45 for 20 federal rounds like my mate has just done!

Quote Originally Posted by nicholiath View Post
    Thanks for all the replies i was just wondering. I do home load for this rifle with h4895 and sierra pro hunter bullets which produce a slightly larger group which i am happy with. just exploring the cloning thing as i am not prepared to pay 45 for 20 federal rounds like my mate has just done!
    45 a hundred sort of settles it really, doesn't it?

Have a play with OAL, sometimes seating a lot further back from the lands than the internet might have you believe yields excellent results.

Try a powder that fills the case better than H4895 for consistency; Muir mentioned IMR4350, I prefer H4350 for better temperature consistency.

Or, accept that a consistant 1"-3/4" rifle ( whatever the load) is going to drop deer out farther than you can shoot them from usual field positions.

45 per twenty !!!! This is a group at same distance with my home loadh4895 46 gn sierra 150 gn pro hunter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120514_153416.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	15508