Night vision help

teyhan1

Question?
I have a Bushnell Wolf hand held night vision. It is a 2+ gen and a very handy piece of kit. However if you look through it for more than 10secs then when you take it away everything seems to have a red tinge.
What is this and is it ok?
Thanks in advance

i get a bit of "snow blindness" when I have been using my monocular a lot to scan areas and then stop using it to mount the rifle.
I use the non scope eye now and close it when shooting

That is just normal though as your eye adjusts to the sudden lack of light

not sure about the "red" though

You get the same efffect using a pvs and it is your eye adjusting to the surrounding light

Last edited:
You get the same efffect using a pvs and it is your eye adjusting to the surrounding light

Mark i don't get any "Red Tinge" with any of mine..just darkness as ive had light to it..then needs a few secs to adjust but no Red..?

I didnt mean it went red mate just that your eye distorted alittle till it adjusted to the darkness

Mark

What you are experiencing is something called 'pink eye' and is as direct result of you looking through the night vision device. It is a well documented effect for military aviation users of night vision googles. Usually lasts about 5 mins and has no lasting or damaging effect.

What you are experiencing is something called 'pink eye' and is as direct result of you looking through the night vision device. It is a well documented effect for military aviation users of night vision googles. Usually lasts about 5 mins and has no lasting or damaging effect.

AH. That's what it's called. Anything I can do to lessen the effect?

Alternating between nv and normal night vision more regularly will lessen the effect. Other than that you can't change the human eyeball I'm afraid. As long as you are not doing anything where safety is being compromised by lack of colour perception experienced during pink eye then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Back