Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle cover

Rifle cover

Does anyone know where i could find a rifle cover goretex or similar to keep at least some of the rain and crap out of the rifle when sitting at dens ,I'm sure i've seen something of the sort on sniper rifles where the scope and trigger are accessible and the rifle is shrouded but it may just be camo ?

Some of the target shooter types have rain covers , have a look on there accessory sites and alas there not camo .

ATB

How about a camo waterproof basha???
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Sniper View Post
    How about a camo waterproof basha???
    I suppose i'm thinking along the lines of a waterproof gun sock that allows access to the bolt and trigger for your hand and covers the scope apart from the lenses and could either stop at the fore end or shroud part of the barrel as well. I may have to make something up myself from a gaiter or a basha as you suggest ,It would have to be fitted as to have a bit flapping around in the wind would give my position away.

cheers for the suggestion

I've got one that I had made from brown lightweight but waterproof canvas.

I'm away at the moment so haven't got any photos but imagine two sides cut to loosely follow the outline of the rifle and scope, sewn along the top, around the muzzle, and then along the bottom back for about 4". It has fishing weights sewn into the bottom hems on each side to make sure that it lies in the rifle and doesn't flap in the wind.

I had it made when doing a lot of stalking in heavy undergrowth to stop branches/thorns scratching and pulling and to keep pine needles etc. out of the rifle/scope. The muzzle 'pocket' keeps it in place whilst the rifle is slung on my back, I can carry the rifle comfortably by either grasping over the sock or (if it's cold) by holding under it, and if I need a quick shot, it will fall free by just tipping the muzzle down.

Some of the Bisley practical rifle shooters recently had a similar rifle cover made up, following a particularly wet weekend there

Not sure what the cost was - I think the linl/details I saw were on the UK Hometeam page of the AR15 forum

An easy way to approach the problem would just be to get an old cheap German army rubber poncho, lay the rifle on it, mark around the outline with a thick marker pen (allow 2"-3" from the edge of the rifle to the pen line) - then cut around the outline through TWO layers of poncho

Apply an inch wide strip of neoprene cement to the upper edges of each of the halves, once as the glue is dry match the 2 halves.
    Trim off any rough edges.

IF you don't like the appearance of the raw unfinished edge, then do the all of the above on the outer face of the poncho then when glued and once the glue has cured overnight, turn inside out to get the outer face of the poncho back to the outside again.

I have made a few lightweight roe sacks using similar methods

Quote Originally Posted by KMCK View Post
    Cheers,
    It might be worth a punt just to try, although it did once take 2 days to find my brothers camo semi-auto he had lent against a tree while shooting hoodies of the nest

Quote Originally Posted by pitiliedon View Post
    Cheers,It might be worth a punt just to try, although it did once take 2 days to find my brothers camo semi-auto he had lent against a tree while shooting hoodies of the nest
    There's nowt worse than beein' shot when you're on the nest!
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by pitiliedon View Post
    Cheers,
    although it did once take 2 days to find my brothers camo semi-auto he had lent against a tree while shooting hoodies of the nest

I have always thought the best thing to do with "Hoodies" is to engage with the youth of today, not to disturb them whilst they are earning a well deserved sleep after keeping the neighbours awake all night with their garage music!!, or have I misunderstood the content of this message!!!