Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pair of canada geese

pair of canada geese

hi. just enquiring about culling a pair of canada geese. they usually rear a clutch of gosling. when the gosling venture from the lake onto the lawn they are herded away towards a differant lake, the parents follow and that is it. so far this year they have not raised any young and are amounting quite a pile of dropping on the lawn. so much so that grand children cant play out there. where do i stand as regards culling them and which method would you suggest.

regards pj

just chase them off , failing that shoot one

Can be culled under general licence. Get their heads both roughly in line and use a 36 gram No. 4 shot or similar (AAA, BB, No.3 etc..)out of a 12 bore from 20-30 yds! Don't use a air rifle or .22 rimfire as it is not enough gun! I know from experience! Stalking rifle will also work but you will probably only get one! Don't expect to get a decent meal out of them as they are probably quite old by now and will be tough as old boot leather and taste like *****!
    MS

thank you. wasnt to fussed about eating them as i presume this pair have been hear a few years and as you say tough as old boots and probably more moisture in ghandi's flip flop. if the quiet approach is needed i was contemplating head shooting with .22lr but would rather kills two birds one shot etc etc

Shoot em and bin em just because of a bit of crap ! Unbelieveable.

Sometimes the shooting world just depresses me.

just when is enough enough , like i say scare them off , shoot one failing all else , dont shoot them just because you can . Take pigeon shooting , most pigeons are shot in the late spring/early summer these days and most chaps seem to aim for 100 a day . Watch pigeon numbers in 10 years time

did a few last week with the semi autos [10shots between us ] a mate helped, in the chiller now cant give them away so fox bait they are .they were making a massive amount of damage to the wheat around the pond and all over a soggy cricket square, left a pair and gozzers four more have since joined em.

not a sporting job just a control exercise as the kids cant have [poo] the size of a small dog all over the sports fields .

The legs make fine confit.
    I haven't found a way to make the breast meat worth eating.

Canadas have dual recognition in law in this country - they can be shot as a pest species under the General Licence (under the correct circumstances), and also as wildfowl. If they are shot under the terms of the GL, there is no close season. If they are shot as wildfowl, the normal close season applies.

Also, if they are shot with a shotgun, they cannot be shot with lead shot in England, only non toxic - and that's anywhere, not just over wetlands.

If they are shot with a rifle under a vermin conditioning, make sure your FEO is happy that Canadas are included in the vermin definition.

Canadas are monogamous, and mate for life. if you have to shoot one of the pair, make sure you shoot them both.
    Last edited by David TS; 15-05-2012 at 07:01.

Quote Originally Posted by David TS View Post
    Canadas have dual recognition in law in this country - they can be shot as a pest species under the General Licence (under the correct circumstances), and also as wildfowl. If they are shot under the terms of the GL, there is no close season. If they are shot as wildfowl, the normal close season applies.

Also, if they are shot with a shotgun, they cannot be shot with lead shot in England, only non toxic - and that's anywhere, not just over wetlands.

If they are shot with a rifle under a vermin conditioning, make sure your FEO is happy that Canadas are included in the vermin definition.
    This is David's favourite topic. That and the lack of a legal definition of vermin.