Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Castration

Dog Castration

Hi folks, i could really do with a spot of advise.

My springer has a great pedigree, great nose, strong frame and is fast as anything, so with these qualities i wanted to keep him "intact" and breed from him in years to come. He's now 2 1/2 and, prob my fault, he's not showing great promise to being a top dog, so breeding has become less important. He still has these "puppy" moments when working where he will close his ears and just do his own thing, but on the whole not doing too bad although its been a non-stop power struggle with him. He has also become a sex pest and ought to be on the offenders register, humping (or at least trying to hump) anything on four legs. It is something of an embarrassment and i reckon could become dangerous for him as many dogs will snap at him to see him off, and if he tries it on with a bad tempered dog....

So what changes in behavior can i expect in him if he gets the snip? I'm hoping for less of a constant power struggle and I want rid of his rapist tendencies. Will the behavioral changes out weigh the loss of breeding potential?

Cheers

Mike

The best answer I can give you is 'probably'.

The dog is still young and I would expect the unwanted sexual behaviour to reduce and him to be a little more submissive. Every dog is different and the changes from castration vary. As the dog gets older the behaviour becomes learnt rather than just hormonally driven, the older the dog is when you get it castrated the less effect it has. If you don't plan on breeding get him gelded!

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

A bit drastic for such a young dog, if you are having handling problems the source may be with you rather than with your dog. Try getting hands on assistance from a good working dog trainer first.atb Tim

I have seen several dogs which still hump things long after being cut, as apache's post says, the behaviour is now learnt. It does seem to help with an aggressive dog though...

My terrier would jump anything that moved and also would go looking! I was not keen to have him cut yet as their are a few people that want to use him later in the year so he has had the male pill at a cost of 50 but in my opinion the best 50 notes ever spent at the moment! he has about one month of his 6 month sentence left to serve!

A dog, particularly a Springer, at 2 1/2 years is far too young to have gelded, something that will affect him for the next ten years, or so, of his life.
    Springers, particularly males, will always be a challenge to keep on top of and need a strong willed owner during his working life, they only calm down about two weeks before they are due to expire !!
    I would certainly consider professional help or, if you feel up to it, go back to basics and keep on top of him.

Rather a mixed bag of answers there guys!! Thanks though!!

I'm sure there are plenty of errors i've made in the training, and as this is my first working dog 'tis to be expected, even with all the books dvds, trainer visits etc. And perhaps i am looking for a "fix" for some of the issues i'm still having in training, but that doesn't change the unwanted sexual behaviour. Do any of you know of a training solution i could use instead? He usually gets a slap and is dragged off - anything else i can do?

Hi Mickey
    Had my GSP done because he had a swolen prostrate the vet said it was the only thing he could do for him.
    It changed the dog completely lost all his agretion put weight on where before i had a job to keep weight on him
    could even take him out with other dogs without him trying to kill them.Although he did still blood trail he never
    worked with so much go in him as before ATB Graham
    Save Water Drink Single Malt

Quote Originally Posted by MrMickeyD View Post
    Rather a mixed bag of answers there guys!! Thanks though!!

I'm sure there are plenty of errors i've made in the training, and as this is my first working dog 'tis to be expected, even with all the books dvds, trainer visits etc. And perhaps i am looking for a "fix" for some of the issues i'm still having in training, but that doesn't change the unwanted sexual behaviour. Do any of you know of a training solution i could use instead? He usually gets a slap and is dragged off - anything else i can do?
    We keep entire male & female Springers together except when the bitches are on heat, when separation is necessary. It is difficult to stop dogs showing interest in on heat bitches, when there is not this distraction try to interest your dog in his work by hunting & training exercises, he needs to be focussed on you.atb Tim

i had my lab done as he was pretty mental and it didnt make a jot of difference to him hes now 2 1/2 and a fairly good dog but only through time attention and a very firm hand he can still be a bit puppy ish sometimes. but when it comes to his job he is spot on i regret having him done as i would probably have liked to keep his blood line live and learn but all dogs are different