Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BASC or Countryside Alliance

Blog Entries

BASC or Countryside Alliance

Historically I was a member of the CPSA then when we moved to green pastures I became a member of the BASC.

When I discontinued shooting a few years ago I was definitely being swung towards the CA. They were just getting country issues out there. I went on Liberty and Livelyhood (Still the only march I have ever participated in)

Im now coming back into the sport and wanted a more specific insurance product than I have. I also felt it approprate to give some of my hard earned to an organisation fighting for my interests. Question is now "Which One?"

Im probably going to cover myself and my 12 year Old daughter. The CA is a bit cheaper and offers a good first year discount on payment by DD. Get 7 people together and it drops by 20 each.

What is your experience guys?

A hotly debated topic on SD. I belong to BASC, as I feel they are (or should be) wholly focused on shooting. I have heard somewhere that the CA act as insurer of last resort; i.e. they will ask you to investigate whether your claim is covered by any other policies (including household) before paying out - this could be incorrect, but perhaps someone from the CA could clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    A hotly debated topic on SD. I belong to BASC, as I feel they are (or should be) wholly focused on shooting. I have heard somewhere that the CA act as insurer of last resort; i.e. they will ask you to investigate whether your claim is covered by any other policies (including household) before paying out - this could be incorrect, but perhaps someone from the CA could clarify?
    Moonraker I may be wrong but I think all the organisations insurers work on the insurer of last resort basis.

NorthDorset, if it's just insurance you want go for the cheapest package. However if additional benefits are wanted too go with whoever meets those needs, for example the BDS insurance (you have to be a member first though) offers insurance cover for income from shooting activity upto an income of 5k I think. I don't think any other insurance package offers that one.
    Last edited by prometheus; 15-05-2012 at 15:34.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Moonraker I may be wrong but I think all the organisations insurers work on the insurer of last resort basis.
    Your wrong SACS does not, 26 per year through the site group scheme.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Not all association insurers’ work on a last resort, BASC's certainly do not.

Personally I am a member of both BASC and the CA (and the GWCT too by the way)

I support BASC because my main interest is shooting, and that what the main focus of BASC is, and of course its by far the largest.

I support the CA because of their much wider rural remit, and the work they do to protect the overall rural way of life.

I know that we (and I am no exception) tend to look at the insurance aspect, but frankly the big issue is not the insurance, its what the association delivers day to day, week in week out.

All associations have their straights and weaknesses, and I guess this thread could quickly become the usual ‘bashing’ thread.

But let’s not do that.

The question is BASC or CA, depends what you want to support most, if you can’t afford to support both.

Best wishes

David
    Last edited by David BASC; 15-05-2012 at 15:50.

N G O are by far the best lots of members from here are with them same cover but lots cheaper

djc

Blog Entries
    As I say Im keen to hook up with an organisation that promotes my interest. At 10 between them this is a dilemma. BASC is 66 for Me and 22 for my Daughter. CA is 60 and 18 for my Daughter.

Im not really considering joining both which is another 78 and Ive never known an insurer get more jittery than when you double insure. David you mention GWCT which I cannot see adds any insurance.

BDS is 50-55 for membership and then 21 for insurance. My daughter is 20 membership plus another 21 for Insurance. So thats 117 with the upside that my daughter is insured for 5k of stalking income. At 12 years old I dont think thats a good fit.

I have previously considered the NGO. They used to have a great charity auction every year. at 35 for me its attractive but Im not a Gamekeeper nor a guide anymore. I'd like to support those of you who are though. Not sure if there is a junior membership? From a protecting shooting and rural England perspective they dont score high though.

I've walked into something that you guys have obviously done before. Not sure why anyone who shoots or is passionate about the countryside would want to knock either organisation.

I think the BASC is a great shooting organisation. I have felt in the past that they dont seek a high enough profile but I know they do a lot of influencial stuff in the background. i feel confident in the back up of a team of experts if I ever got into hot water.

I think the CA did well to capture the publics attention and certainly I still see the signs and people wearing the shirts. However I agree they might have been pigeon holed as the Pro Fox Hunting guys. Im not against Fox Hunting though. My kids ride and the South West Wilsthire Hunt Pony Club is marvellous. Ive never been myself but I marched to protect peoples right to. What else would kids get upto in the countryside?

What swings it for you?

Personally I went for the CA membership given its broader base, e.g. Even though I shoot I also go hunting , fishing & ride horses etc. If you can afford to there is no harm in belonging to more than one organisation but it would be interesting to know what happens if you have multiple insurances covering the same event. atb Tim

I was a member of the CA and BASC until a CA spokesman appeared on TV saying shooting foxes should be banned,
    my CA card went back that day,
    still a Basc and Bds member,

i was with basc, then left and went with cpsa, a lot cheaper, good insurance. that was for clays. When i started shooting in the field i wanted to something better. I know i can come on here and contact a member of basc directly. And basc website is second to none for info. So back to basc i went and will stay.
    "Seek the wisdom of ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child"
    http://www.totally22.co.uk