Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: firearms cert

firearms cert

I have sent my cert in for renewal and I need to have a job done on my rifle, do I have to wait untill cert, comes back ,or can I take it in as it will need to be there for a while.

If you can remember your details i dont see why you could not take your rifle in to have work on it but that would be up to your RFD.
    You will however need your FAC to get it back.
    If your FAC has expired then get your rifles to a RFD for storage immediately as you will be in posession of firearms without a licence.

Ian.

My FAC is still in date just away for renewal so I dont need to hand in , I think I might call the firearms in the morning and ask to see if they can send a temp so I can get work done.

Quote Originally Posted by leeroy View Post
    My FAC is still in date just away for renewal so I dont need to hand in , I think I might call the firearms in the morning and ask to see if they can send a temp so I can get work done.
    They wont give you a temporary licence if your current FAC is still in force and they wont "want" to give you one when your FAC has expired, it does not look good on the records if they have to issue temporary licences, so they avoid it like the plague.
    If you chosen RFD will take your rifle in for work without seeing your FAC then get it in but like i said you will need your FAC to get any rifles back from thr RFD.

Ian.

Ok cheers for that.

possession of a firearm without a license does not come into effect just because the police have your license.

if you inadvertently set fire to your FAC, you are not liable to be locked up just because it is in ashes!

You don't need a temporary license.

Photocopy your FAC as a matter of course and keep (several copies/scans etc)
    you are not required to have the paper on you (though it is advisable to avoid some overzealous bobby getting all tactical on you) when in possession of a firearm, any more than you are required to have your driving license on you when driving.

"To hold" does NOT mean physically

they have systems. the RFD can ring the police if he wants. No need otherwise.
    I have bought ammo without an FAC, the RFD just rang L&B and they added the ammo to the new printed version.

[QUOTE=bewsher500;377772]possession of a firearm without a license does not come into effect just because the police have your license.
    QUOTE]

Yes you are correct but it does if your licence expires while the police are renewing it and a new licence is not issued on time.

Ian.

[QUOTE=Whitebeard;377881]
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    possession of a firearm without a license does not come into effect just because the police have your license.
    QUOTE]

Yes you are correct but it does if your licence expires while the police are renewing it and a new licence is not issued on time.

Ian.
    if sent in within the specified time period then it is THEIR fault not yours.

OP is asking about using guns while they have physical possession.
    Not the same thing at all

[QUOTE=Whitebeard;377881]
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    QUOTE]

Ian.
    It may or may not be of interest but the renewal before last that I had they were late processing mine, a call confirmed they weren't worried and I was told as it had been submitted in plenty of time and it was their fault to just carry on. Obviously some get more worried about this than others anyway long story but they backdated the renewed FAC so at no point had I technically not had one. Though Herts do seem to take the common sense approach

[QUOTE=al4x1;378230]
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post

It may or may not be of interest but the renewal before last that I had they were late processing mine, a call confirmed they weren't worried and I was told as it had been submitted in plenty of time and it was their fault to just carry on. Obviously some get more worried about this than others anyway long story but they backdated the renewed FAC so at no point had I technically not had one. Though Herts do seem to take the common sense approach
    Once again licensing offices telling renewal applicants that its acceptable to have a firearm in their possession without a current licence.
    The law is quite clear on this, possessing a firearm without a current licence is an offence under all circumstances, regardless of what your licensing office tell you, even if it is their fault due to delays.

Ian.