Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2k to spend on a scope - what would you buy?

Regular Poster

2k to spend on a scope - what would you buy?

As per the title really - torn between Swaro Z6i and Zeiss - must be a 56mm objective and max mag of at least 14.What do you reckon chaps?

the zeiss 6-24x56 FL I have 2 and they are fantastic.

You are going to get a split camp on this one.... And the Zeiss sponsered guys are going to push zeiss (obviously) No offence John... I would if I got free/discounted kit..

I use Zeiss rf bins and think they are awesome but as for a stalking scope........ the Z6i is arguably THE best hunting scope on the market... It also doubles up as a very effective red dot sight, even in bright sunlight! Get it with the ballistic turret and you are good to go! 2.5-15x56 is incredibly versatile and due to very good design, not bulky at all and very light.

I really wouldn't look elsewhere....

600 on a bushnell elite and 1400 on shooting hols

Save the 2k and buy something else, plenty to choose from for a lot less! They are not worth 2k of anyone's money, someone enlighten me as where the value is?

Nice dilema to have..

As Jager hints, I don't think you'll utilise the features of a 2k scope on a stalking rig as once you reach a level of lense quality the money goes into range of adjustment, BDC's, illumination and environmental ratings.
    I sincerely doubt you'll ever use high mag or 100 minutes of adjustment out stalking. For example, the Z6's have the same glass, whether it's the 'entry level' or top of the line Z6i BDC high mag job. On 7x they all have the same picture.

On the other hand if I had 2k to spend on a scope for my TRG I'd probably go Schmidt PMII but for stalking it'd be the Z6i but max 14x, possibly with the BDC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    Save the 2k and buy something else, plenty to choose from for a lot less! They are not worth 2k of anyone's money, someone enlighten me as where the value is?
    I had exactly the same thoughts... I had a Gen 1 Z6i and ended up resenting having so much tied up in a scope... I sold it and replaced it with a 700 Scope... after 3 months I couldn't cope any more, my confidence in it was low, I felt as if the image quality was lacking, low light performance wasn lacking and I really missed the amazing illumination the Z6i had... so... sold it and bought a Gen 2 Z6i!

I have used both ends of the spectrum adn would buy another Z6i now without hesitation or resentment at cost!

It would have to be the Swarovski Z6i Gen2 2.5-15x56. By the best and buy once......

Forgot to add, I have a Swarovski PF 8-50 at the moment and the quality is fantastic, i will be getting a Z6i for my new 30-06. I have also had the lower end of the range scopes and its not until you have used a top quality scope that you really see the difference.
    Last edited by Southdowns_stalking; 16-05-2012 at 10:48.
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie

have to agree with the vipa man swaro every time regards pete .

Regular Poster
    I had kind of narrowed it down to the zeiss 6-24x56 FL and the Z6i Gen2 2.5-15x56 - has anybody got any experience of the two in a side-by-side comparison?Just to enlighten the debate a little further I already have a S&B 8 x 56, Leupold VX3LR 50 and a Bushnell Elite Tac 50 and the difference in quality of the S&B over the other 2 is significant. Hence the need to buy a top of the range!!!!!!