Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50 IR

HUMMER

I looked at one of these at the Bisley show , while looking at the 100 yard target numbers i noticed that if you looked off center the scope was not in focus ,i pointed this out to one of the Zeiss team who said it may have had a nock , any way a few weeks back i decided to buy one , it suffered with exactly the same problem on any magnification and any distance the center is ok the edges are not ,so i compared a bushnell 3-12x56 , and a Hawke panorama using the same magnification 4 on all scopes and the same tree both the cheapies were in focus to the edges , not the zeiss though ,
The zeiss was returned to them and they said they were not able so fix the poor sight picture so it was going back to Germany , got it back the other day with a report stating
The rifle scope corresponds in all pointsour specification,
The type and extent of th peripheral blurring found by you corresponds to the given specification,it was deliberately accepted in the optical design in favour of a large field of view and cannot be changed ,
it is very dissapointing that with my slightly ageing eyes a chinese scope appears to have trumped Zeiss ,
Moan over !! any one had the same type of issue ?? ,not sure of what to do next though ,

ive got one of them scopes mate and mine does not suffer from that issue ,you sure your eyes are ok ????

I don't own one, but yesterday I met the Zeiss rep, and asked to look throught this very scope.
I certainly didn't notice any problems like that with it, although it doesn't match my Classic Diavari 2.5-10x50.

Neil. :)

Thanks for these comments , perhaps the old eyes are wearing out !!!, will perhaps get some younger eyes to take a look

Could it be the case that those with younger/stronger eyes are sub-consciously correcting the blurring that you are unable to?

Could it be the case that those with younger/stronger eyes are sub-consciously correcting the blurring that you are unable to?

Possible, but my eyes are 54 and on their way out, I never saw anything wrong with the optics.

Hi mate,

I have the same model and noticed it is fairly blurry around the edges, particularly on the lower mags (worst on 3x). Haven't had the scope long and always wondered if anyone else had the same issue!

Cheers

got 2 of them,

no issues here, i have glasses and i use the scope with or without. and found them to be cracking bits of kit.

i would suggest you contact zeiss uk and send it back, or just try spec-savers :)

bob.

ps: im 50+ with one short sighted and one long sighted eye and i shoot with left or right handed with no issues with the scope mentioned.

bob.

Is there much difference in the optics on the duralyt to the more upmarket zeiss scopes.

Is there much difference in the optics on the duralyt to the more upmarket zeiss scopes.

Define much ?
My Classic Diavari is clearer and brighter than the Duralit I looked through when both set on 10x.
My Classic is the 2.5-10x50, the Duralit was the 3-12x50 IR

I got two top end zeiss scope and need another scope for my 223 was going to get a duralyt but if the optics are not up to it I'll get a another top end scope

I got two top end zeiss scope and need another scope for my 223 was going to get a duralyt but if the optics are not up to it I'll get a another top end scope

paul

there is no problem with the glass, i use mine on both my 20 tac for lamping and my 243 for stalking, never had a problem with anything be it bad light red or orange filters on the lamp.??

all fine and the last s&b 8x56 i sold was good but not as clear as the duralyts.

just my opinion and findings on my glass here.

bob.

Always interested in peoples views on scopes, im very short sighted and sometimes what i think /read about on good quality glass to my eyes isnt( but every ones are not the same- good job you wouldnt want mine)

I have used Burris Sig Select and really like the glass, bought a Conquest 6.5-20x50 and while i thought it was very nice not £2-300 better so sold it on, had a Leaupold Mk4 couldnt get on with the eye relief, didnt like it, Bushnell 6500 very nice but sold it on as i got it very cheap and again couldnt justify the price difference over my old yard stick the Burris

recently bought two S&B 6x42,8x56 and very impressed a step up from trusty Burris, and just recently bought another Conquest the 4.5-14x50 and to be honest this one is crystal clear maybe ( to my goofy eyes )better than the S&Bs, maybe my previous Conquest was just a tired version , dont really know.

cheers
craig

Back