reloading the 7mm rem mag

wraith

hi new gun coming next week never reloaded a belted cartrige before eney good loads powder recomendatons etc for 7mm rm 26in barrel thanks rob

Rob,

I made up some "running in" rounds for mine using 140 grain Sierra Pro Hunters, Vit N160 and Remington primers. I used the starting load in the Vit tables (downloadable free on their website), Accuracy was superb, but I hope to work up a warmer load for it in the next few weeks.

I was advised to try some Vit N165. There is data for this powder in the Vit tables also.

What rifle are you getting?

Cheers,

Bob

I have a sako 75 and only use 160 / 162 gn projectiles. RL-19 at 64 gns and RL 25 at 70 gns both work well and will give you close to 3000 fps and tight groups. use normal precautions and mag primers. RL-22 is also quite good in this round.

Rob,

I made up some "running in" rounds for mine using 140 grain Sierra Pro Hunters, Vit N160 and Remington primers. I used the starting load in the Vit tables (downloadable free on their website), Accuracy was superb, but I hope to work up a warmer load for it in the next few weeks.

I was advised to try some Vit N165. There is data for this powder in the Vit tables also.

What rifle are you getting?

Cheers,

Bob
hi bud remington police 26in barrel onley gun i could find new in 7mm rem mag tikka 8months wait will be toped of with a leupold m1 mark4 10x40 and using berger 168vld hunting rounds now is it true that i will have to use a magnum silencer with the 7mm or is the gunsmith taiking the wee thanks for replyes im dislexic so bad spelling but **** hot shooter lol

Wraith,

That sounds like a great bit of kit.

I've not yet tried the rifle with bullets at the heavier end of the range, but hope to in the future. Alot of people say that bullets of around 160ish grains get the best out of it, so will have to give them a try sometime.

Re. Mod for the rifle, I have an ASE Northstar that I bought for my Swede. The thread on the Rem Mag is the same, so I use the Northstar on it as well. It works fine. As far as I am aware there is no reason why the smaller mods can't be used on the Rem Mag (providing the threading and calibre are correct), albeit the reduction in noise and recoil wouldn't be as much as a bigger mod.

The only thing that lets the Northstar down on mine is the effect on the balance of the rifle. The barrel on mine is about 25 " and the weight of the can on the end makes it quite barrel heavy. I had a think about it and concluded that I was more bothered about the reduction in recoil than noise, so I got a muzzle brake instead. I do sometimes use the mod, but prefer the brake cause it doesn't compromise the handling. If you want noise reduction as well as the reduced recoil it might be worth looking at one of the new breed of lightweight mods.

Let us know how you get on with those big Bergers.

Cheers,

Bob

Many shooters starting out with this calibre begin with the lighter bullets at low velocities, and never get any further. I think that's a good idea at the outset to gain confidence in it, but it's not what this cartridge is designed for. N160 with 140-grain isn't the best choice. You can achieve similar results in a standard .270 - so why bother with the big Seven? All you have at best here is an ultra .270 like the .270 Weatherby.

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data/relodata/5/65

The 7mm RM is just as capable as the .300 WM without the recoil, and uses only 10 grains or so more powder than the .270.

As soon as you've got some experience with it move on to spend some time with the 160 grain ... and stop there. With the slower powders - N165, IMR 7828, and Rel. 25 it's a useful step up in power. A standard .270 will cover most of the bases this cartridge does anyway, but it does have the option of 175 grain heavies for the big stuff elsewhere.

A couple of my friends traded their 300 Win Mags for 7mm Rem Mags and swear by the 160 grain Sierra game kings, they are regularly shooting Red stags at over 400 metres. Robert.

Robertw
I think a 7mm practicle (sp) would be a wet dream 7mm/300wm one of your guy has made such a beasty .

ATB

Outback,
I have seen the write up on it, uses a hell of a lot of powder totally inefficient cartridge, barrel life would be short
probably not bad as a hunting round, depends on how far you shoot your animals, of all the 7mm's I like the 280 Rem standard or AI and the 7mm Weatherby,
A friend had a 7mm STW for awhile that is about the same as the 7mm/300WM awesome muzzle blast and very accurate, I try not to shoot deer over 300 metres so a 7mm Rem Mag would be fine. Robert.

Back