Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Covering your face makes a difference!

Covering your face makes a difference!

I am sure this might spark some jokes about ugly faces but here is what happended to me yesterday.

I was out for a walk in a wood that I have access to, hoping to spot a buck. I was walking along a track when I spotted a roe not more than 20-25 metres away. The animal's head was behind a large tree so it could not see me. Thinking that the deer would only need to take one step forward and I would be in full view as I was in the middle of the track, I froze and lifted the bins to my eyes. I did this hoping to catch a quick close up glimpse of the animal as I was certain it would disappear instantly when it saw me.

Well she (it was a young doe) walked into the middle of the track, had a good look at me and carried on browsing! I didn't move and kept the bins over my face and the doe carried on munching and looking in my direction every now and then. Then I decided to test what would happen if I exposed my face. So I gently lowered the bins while she had her head down. A few seconds later she lifted here head, had one look at me and legged it in the opposite direction!

So when I go stalking I will carry on wearing my camo face mask and gloves. Covering the white of the face does make a difference!

Cheers,
    Peri

Thanks for the tip
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

i always wear gloves peri , but ive never bothered with a face mask tho , covering your white face must make a difference, but i think this deer may of spotted your movement more than your face maybe ????

ATB

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 223 View Post
    i always wear gloves peri , but ive never bothered with a face mask tho , covering your white face must make a difference, but i think this deer may of spotted your movement more than your face maybe ????

ATB

Dave
    Dave,

It could have noticed my lowering my hands, but I did it slowly while she had her head down browsing. I didn't notice a reaction to me moving. It was a few seconds later that she looked up, looked in my direction and vanished.

I believe it's also the shape of the human face otherwise negros for instance would not have deer run from them would they? Tis the human shape. Disguise that and your home. With your binos up your arms changed the shape of you upper torso and with your gloved hands holding your binos changed the look and shape of your face.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    I believe it's also the shape of the human face otherwise negros for instance would not have deer run from them would they? Tis the human shape. Disguise that and your home. With your binos up your arms changed the shape of you upper torso and with your gloved hands holding your binos changed the look and shape of your face.

A face vale is one of the best things you can invest in, it changes your shape and animals do recognize faces it's a proven fact.

Blog Entries
    Two forward facing eyes denote humans as a preditor. Smiley white teeth and incisors, all the better to eat you with my deer!

I had a similar experience last year with a yearling Buck, which was not in season at the time, and I watched him for about twenty minutes, at the time I was lying on the ground, he was about 60m away from me, and, carried on feeding, unaware of my presence, eventually I stood up, put my rifle on my quad sticks, took out my binoculars, and allthough he could see me, because I had my binoculars to my face, I think, he did not take off, after a while I decided to put down my equipment, at this he ran off, turned around at about 80 m, looking at me, stamped his foreleg, then came trotting back to about 60-80m, looking at me, turned around, did the same thing, then eventually left the field. Brilliant experience!! if not for him, for me , I should say at that time, and every time I go stalking I always wear a full face mask & gloves, as I did in this instance

I would say it had nothing to do with recognising the face,but the fact that the next time it looked the picture was different from the last time it looked.Look at the times folk have been very close to deer with nay veil on and it has made no difference.