Possible Tail Docking

DavieH

Hi Guys

My HWV is going back to the vet as his tail continuously bleeds with the amount of wagging and banging of anything that is in the way.
He licks it all the time and the cream that the vet gave has not worked.
My fear is that at 15 months, the vet may decide that it would be better for him to have his tail docked.
My question is has anybody on the Forum had to go through this and were there any side affects .
I have to be honest I am not looking forward to the outcome but he comes first and I will do what is needed.

Regards
DavieH

It's a common operation that usually goes well. The biggest mistake some vets make is leaving too much tail. That then wags and frequently breaks down. I take them quite short and very rarely have a problem.

And yet there are folk out there who still think docking is barbaric! It is not just working spaniels that require docking when a few days old. The sooner this law is allowed an exemption in Scotland for working breeds the better. Good luck with the op Davie. I know one or two guys who's dogs also went through it later in life for the very reasons you describe, and theirs were fine afterwards.

I have held the pups when the vet has done mine before and it takes 2 seconds to snip off as a 4 day old pup and occasionally they give a tiny 'yip', now needing a general anaesthetic and stitches when older....

And yet there are folk out there who still think docking is barbaric! It is not just working spaniels that require docking when a few days old. The sooner this law is allowed an exemption in Scotland for working breeds the better. Good luck with the op Davie. I know one or two guys who's dogs also went through it later in life for the very reasons you describe, and theirs were fine afterwards.

I have held the pups when the vet has done mine before and it takes 2 seconds to snip off as a 4 day old pup and occasionally they give a tiny 'yip', now needing a general anaesthetic and stitches when older....
+1,it's a joke when dogs need to be docked at an older age,on welfare grounds alone it should never have been banned!
It's ok to cause pain to a dog up to a certain age then chop its tail off,whereas when pups they don't feel a thing,mind you all extra money for vets though,presumably that's why they were all for a ban on docking!!

Take photographs of the damage, write a letter enclosing the pics to your MSP, send the same letter to the SGA. I know your dog was not born in this country but it is typical of the injury and pain that can be inflicted. There was a study being carried out at one of the Glasgow universities and they certainly would be interested. I'll look back my old emails and get you the person to contact.

I couldn't agree more . . . . yet more legislative nonsense.

I Know of several Hwv's that have had tail amputations due to tail damage , all have been done to the standard 1/3rd removed with no problems after the op .
As others have said , its a lot for the dog to go through with with having a general anesthetic etc when this could have been done easily when the pup was 2 - 3 days old , also this will be an expensive exercise but is the only way to get a satisfactory outcome for your dog

Last edited:
Davie,

It looks like it will have to get docked mate, I had the same happen to my dog and the kennel looked like a slaughter house every morning. No amount of cream will help.

Odin had to have his tail taken off at 10 months old. The vets I used which I thought were a professional rural outfit just didnt give him the proper after care he should of got. When I took him to a local vet 5 mins down the road she spotted what was wrong straight away. Basically the anti-biotics he was given had an effect on the bacteria in his digestive system which caused rapid weight loss over a week or so due to sickness and vomiting.

It took a good 6 months to get him right again. Ive no doubt alot of un-neccessary suffering and pain was caused by the vet not spotting the signs early on. Im glad I had insurance because by the time he was sorted it was a hefty bill.

I know that 9 times out of 10 this is not the case but after that episode I would never buy a puppie which has not been docked. But it seems more and more breeders are leaning towards un-docked litters and too be honest you cant really blame them, they limit there potential customers instantly by docking a litter.

Many thanks for all of your advice and comments.
Was at the vets yesterday and she connfirmed that it would be best that he have his tail docked.
This is happening on Wednesday first thing.
She has assured me that both during and after the operation he will recieve the best of care.
I don't know who is fretting the most him or me.
Again thanks for everything.

Regards

DavieH

Davie

Had dogs at the vets a few times over the years for ops and general anaesthetics, including those for hip scoring. I would suggest this is a relatively straightforward procedure for a vet to carry out but the aftercare will be important to ensure the wound heals well.

Other than him looking a bit groggy when you go to pick him up, he will be wagging his tail (albeit a shorter one!) and looking delighted to see you.

Dogs are amazingly resilient animals as you know. If it was you or I spraying blood about like that, we would be expecting to die. He is still wagging his tail (currently still a longer one!) and probably other than licking it showing no other signs of distress????

Sorry forthe tail references, trying to make you smile mate....

I went through the same thing with my ESS and can tell you it was a nightmare with the plastic collar things the vets put on to deter the dog chewing at the op site, went through several of them , and it took about 2 months to get the wound healed and would seriously think about repeating the experience . Good luck
Brian

I went through the same thing with my ESS and can tell you it was a nightmare with the plastic collar things the vets put on to deter the dog chewing at the op site, went through several of them , and it took about 2 months to get the wound healed and would seriously think about repeating the experience . Good luck
Brian

As opposed to what, letting the dog carry on fraying the end of its tail for the next 12 years?

Hi i have a young cocker bitch 2years old ive had her tail docked 3 weeks ago she is still in a kennel on her own with a plastic thing on her head and its been abugger to get haeling as with what Deepocean said the antibiotics i was given were not doing the job so i had to get some from the pig guy on the farm and so far so good it now seems to be healing.
I live in scotland and up until a few years ago i docked all my own pups and never in 32 years had a dog with a damaged tail. I have also sent Rose Lederer pics and statements ref tail damage but I dont think we will get any joy from that bunch in Edinburgh.
The daft thing it is still legal for the breeder to remove dew claws at 3 days old but sadly not the tails .
They have condemed our working breeds to a life of suffering I will now buy all my dogs outside Scotland i cant watch another dog suffer in this way .
Hey ho rant over .
Hoolit

I have a 6 year old Labrador and just had his tail docked this morning. Because he kept banging it. The wife looked it up on the internet and it's called happy tail. Tried bandages to kept it covered to give it time to heal but it just kept bleeding as soon as it hit anything. He came home all happy wagging his little stump doesn't seem to be bothering him.

Hi Guys

Just a note to say that Rebus has reacted well to the operation and to be honest the length is a good size.
The dressing has been of since last Thursday and he has not bothered with it at all.
After the operation I have not commanded him to sit or lie down, just let him get on with it but decided on Sunday to try the whistle, hand and voice commands to sit but got no response. Continued this all of the times I had him out and back home on Monday, again with very little response, then again this morning.
The funny side of it was last night I had him staying for approx 20 mins, 5 of which I was out of sight.
He just stood for about 10 then lay down on his front paws with his back end up in the air for the rest of the time.
His tail is not sore as I can touch the end of it no bother so reckon it must just be a phsycological thing in his head.
But I will continue without any force until it comes right.
Again my sincere thanks for all of you help and comments.
Regards
DavieH

Back