Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can you recomend a gunsmith and pillar bedder please

can you recomend a gunsmith and pillar bedder please

got a sako that needs some tlc ,i have a problem with the firing pin,when i raise the bolt the pin 'cocks',but when i close the bolt the pin then goes back in the bolt ,this is obviously too dangerous to use ,as it could potentialy go off on its own if it engaged ,and whilst it is being rectified or cleaned i would get it properly pillar bedded as advised on here.thanks in advance arron.

The way you describe the "fault" sounds perfectly normal to me Arron.
    Are you saying that when you raise the bolt the action cocks and the firing pin which was protruding from the bolt face is withdrawn into the bolt?
    Last edited by 8x57; 17-05-2012 at 16:26.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by arron View Post
    got a sako that needs some tlc ,i have a problem with the firing pin,when i raise the bolt the pin 'cocks',but when i close the bolt the pin then goes back in the bolt ,this is obviously too dangerous to use ,as it could potentialy go off on its own if it engaged ,and whilst it is being rectified or cleaned i would get it properly pillar bedded as advised on here.thanks in advance arron.
    Arron. Hmm, are you saying then, that you can't pull the trigger as closing the bolt has already released the firing pin? Regards JCS

Mike Norris.

Brock & Norris Custom Rifles

regards,

Redmist from this Forum is not far from you and he will sort you out. His Pillar Bedding is excellent too.

Yorkie.

hi thanks for the replys,i have two sako rifles,the 25 96 and 30 06 ,the 30 06 when you lift the bolt the pin sticks out of the bolt end and should stay there until you pull the trigger ,once closed,but on closing the bolt the pin goes back in instead of staying out.

So you are talking about the cocking indicator on the tail of the bolt?

thats right , i have a feeling it may be a grain or two of powder that has got lodged ,last october i had a case empty itself in the chamber on extracting the unfired case ,and although i thought i had cleaned it out with an airline it could be a bit that has been unnoticed ,i have shot it most weeks since then with no problem.

First thoughts are that it is a trigger problem due either to over lightening by adjustment, or due to wear, or even to dirt or debris in the trigger mechanism. Personally I would strip clean and inspect the trigger mechanism along with the bolt first and see if that cures the problem. You will probably find that it is something quite simple and easily identified but if you have any doubts whatsoever you should consult a gunsmith. I would stress a gunsmith and not a gun dealer. There are too many people around that call themselves gunsmiths but aren't.

have you tried stripping the bolt and reassembling? taking the action and trigger mechanism out and giving it a good 'blow' for dust, etc.?
    taking it to a gunsmith might work, but why not do this basic procedure yourself...

ref. bedding, because it sounds like 'the thing to do' or because your rifle doesn't shoot consistently?