Load development .300 rum

Double four

Well not really load development as the first load i tried will be hard to beat, After finally getting the rounds on the target the rifle was near enough zeored after half a day with just a bit of tweeking needed.
I was hampered with heat haze from the mod after only a couple of shots, so i was letting the barrel cool for half an hour and starting again.
I had some issues with feed from the mag as i had set them tight to max mag length but this resulted in a few miss feeds so i dropped them back a few thou and she was feeding nice again.

I was really impressed with the lack of recoil with the big t 8 mag mod although you coud cook an egg on it after two shots and a 3 shot group takes an age to achieve.
This prompted me to try it un modded :doh: well i tried it yesterday and for a couple of shots out in the open off a fence post it was fine.
But sat at a bench along side some farm buildings giving echo enhancement cradled on a rest was a different matter and not a very pleasant experience so thoughts of fitting a brake went straight out of the window.

I blew about 70 quids worth of powder and bullet heads through out the day as i just couldnt leave it alone and the groups just got tighter and tighter as i got used to the trigger pull.

Overall impressions are what a peice of kit ! awsome power and super accuracy straight out of the box even if it is just a bogo remmy that gets ribbed to bits on here.

I had to call it a day as i wanted to keep a few rounds to try on deer, so i gave it a clean and tried it for the last couple of groups at a 2" disc and couple after through the chrono which were reading around 3250

First was a clean barrel which was smack on at 100 i let it cool between shots and fired another three, i walked up to the target and could see 1 raggy hole at 1" higher i thought i had only two strikes in it and must have been a flyer on the third.
I put the target up the other way and tried again another smaller raggy hole but this time the plastic drum underneath the target showed a distinct tight cloverleaf punched into the plastic !
Jeeze i see what Chris C meant when he said they were boringly accurate its a tack driver for sure. i thought my .243 varmint rifle was tasty but i had to work at that, this has only had a load cobbled together and its a genuine one holer well chuffed cant wait to see what it will do at distance.

Got a dozen rounds left so hopefully i can try it out on something other than paper when i get the chance.

DSC00279-1.jpg

DSC00282-1.jpg

A Remmy, shooting as accurately as that?........ Never! not according to what I read on here anyway Bob!

That is superb. Basically similar accuracy to every Remmy I have owned as well with home loads.

It will be ideal for the Sika stags and your big reds!

Is that 180grn bullets you are using at 3250fps? What length is the barrel, and what model of Remington is that?

Brian its a remmy vs2 sendero 26", i was using 180 accubonds sourced locally i was going to use 200gn partitions but its a order job.
Mind you if they work ok on smaller deer i'll stick with the accubonds. you can sharp get though powder when you are developing loads at close to 100gns a chuck so if it "aint broke dont fix it" springs to mind :eek: . DF

Brian its a remmy vs2 sendero 26", i was using 180 accubonds sourced locally i was going to use 200gn partitions but its a order job.
Mind you if they work ok on smaller deer i'll stick with the accubonds. you can sharp get though powder when you are developing loads at close to 100gns a chuck so if it "aint broke dont fix it" springs to mind :eek: . DF

Used a Remmy Sendero in 25-06 for a few years when shooting a lot of sika in all weather. All I did was put a Jewell trigger in it. Ideal for the job and very, very accurate rifle.

Last edited:
Overall impressions are what a peice of kit ! awsome power and super accuracy straight out of the box even if it is just a bogo remmy that gets ribbed to bits on here.

Let's look at it this way ;) .................................................... if you make enough of an item then eventually even by mistake you must get at least one or two actually right :rofl:. Even if your name is Remington :smug:.

Now actually I wonder if they have a different line for the magnums. Have a friend in the US who has an 8mm RUM which is boringly precise. Bit hungry on powder by all accounts and recoil is ........................................ Ahhh Interesting. In fact before he brought a "decent scope" it ate two of them.

Now on the other hand another US forum friend finally gave up with his 7STW and used the barrel as a plant stake. Despite trying everything even finally resorting to fire lapping nothing would make that POS shoot. I seem to recall he said it would be OK for about 125 yards shots on Mule Deer but that was it. It's now chambered for some super fast wildcat with a Broughton barrel and Gophers are shot at looooooooooooooooong range with it on occasion..

Edit:- Whoops got called away for a mo............................ so completely forgot to say .......................... tis nice when it all comes together though :D. Look forwards o teh dear beastie photos ;).

Last edited:
Back