View Poll Results: Should larger organsiation purchase land

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    19 63.33%
  • no

    11 36.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Should the larger organsiations purchase land to stop it being lost to shooting?

  1. #1

    Should the larger organsiations purchase land to stop it being lost to shooting?

    We here so much about prime locations being lost to shooting because it has been purchased by shall we say other organisations that are anti shooting.Should some of the larger organisations purchase land in order to preserve it for our sport.

  2. #2
    Have the wildfowlers not been doing this for along time.

    PJ
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

  3. #3
    yes they have! but they are no the only shooters in the UK.

  4. #4
    It may be the only way to preserve shooting rights, however I think that it is a huge abuse of charitable status for an organisation to acquire large property portfolios. Surely the idea of charitable status is to carry out charitable works, not to become wealthy landowners subsidised by tax breaks.atb Tim

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    .... it is a huge abuse of charitable status for an organisation to acquire large property portfolios. Surely the idea of charitable status is to carry out charitable works, not to become wealthy landowners subsidised by tax breaks.atb Tim
    Tell that to the RSPB.

  6. #6
    The organisations buying up land have more members therefore more cash to spend than the shooting organisations
    It has worked for some of the wild fowling clubs, but its a different thing, they limit shooting to the members and a few permit days for others, would be difficult to organise in say a stalking type purchase, or even more difficult in game shooting.

    But cost being the biggest problem, would you be prepared to pay an annual membership of 500 to 1000 to
    an organisation and even then have to enter a draw as to when or if you could shoot on the ground, don't think that many would prepared to pay that sort of money to an organisation, plenty complain about costs at the moment.

    Its not a bad idea, but its not practical, the cost involved are horrendous, just think of how big a purchase would need to be made for members to be able to shoot when the want impossible! OK smaller areas then its a lottery system of who and when you get to shoot, and when you look at how much they would have to increase membership fees to cover the purchase cost, and don't forget you have running costs after you have bought it

    You only need to look at estates, to see how hard it is to make land pay.
    When you take everything into consideration IMO its a non starter.

  7. #7
    Fair enough proposal I think. Money is always the problem however so I think it would be a good idea for landowners (especially our brothers in arms so to speak , of the hunting, shooting, fishing variety) to leave portions of their estate to us at the Stalking Directory. Donated early enough they could perhaps reduce inheritance tax, ensure that the land which they are no doubt very fond of will be kept for future like-minded generations, and at the same time make certain that their favourite sports have land on which to continue.
    Any thoughts from our more affluent members ? ( and the rest of you off course !)

    JR
    " not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Tell that to the RSPB.
    I don't think the RSPB are the worst culprits. I know of plenty of places where predator control is a key part of their habitat management program. I would be interested to hear how they view deer management?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JRoe View Post
    Fair enough proposal I think. Money is always the problem however so I think it would be a good idea for landowners (especially our brothers in arms so to speak , of the hunting, shooting, fishing variety) to leave portions of their estate to us at the Stalking Directory. Donated early enough they could perhaps reduce inheritance tax, ensure that the land which they are no doubt very fond of will be kept for future like-minded generations, and at the same time make certain that their favourite sports have land on which to continue.
    Any thoughts from our more affluent members ? ( and the rest of you off course !)

    JR
    Leave land to an online opinions forum ??? Your having a laugh are you not !?


    Quote Originally Posted by JRoe View Post
    .. ensure that the land which they are no doubt very fond of will be kept for future like-minded generations, and at the same time make certain that their favourite sports have land on which to continue.
    And then have a very heated debate about who should be shooting on it, how, when and what with!!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by patjack View Post
    Have the wildfowlers not been doing this for along time.

    PJ
    The wildfowlers have been trying to do this for a long time. The problem is, there are only a few clubs that are any good at it.

    The BASC makes much of the funding available to clubs for landpurchase but take up is dissappointingly small given the funds on offer...

    I think what is actually needed is for a "Land Bank" to be set up which clubs can lease land off as most can't deal with the complexities or pass the rigour of long term debt to purchase land.

    ATB,

    Scrumbag

Similar Threads

  1. Not stalking related, BBC1 tonight, land of the lost wolves
    By devon deer stalker in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 08-04-2012, 05:37
  2. stop shooting does plz its no right ???
    By Hawkeye in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 23-03-2011, 09:11
  3. Shooting rights / land
    By private fraser in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 16:16
  4. SD Shooting Land
    By JAYB in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 23-10-2008, 13:52
  5. SHOOTING OVER LAND!
    By Trapper in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 17:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •