Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After the DSC1....another training option: LANTRA.

After the DSC1....another training option: LANTRA.

I just want to flag up that there is another training route you can take, and that is a LANTRA courses. After I passed the DSC1 I did the LANTRA Center-fire/Fox-control Level 2 course. This course appears not to be so widely known in the shooting community.

This is a lot harder than the DSC1 in particular on firearms-handling and safety issues. The format of the 2-day course is:
    Day 1: Theory during the day; practical exercises and night-lamping assessment in the evening. So a very long intense day indeed - the day started at 9AM and finished at midnight. (The B&B lady was delighted with our late arrival time
    Day 2: Range practice in the morning; marksmanship assessment, more theory and a written exam.

The night lamping assessment consist of 3 elements: Identify the target, estimate the distance to the target; decide if the shot is safe or unsafe. The course leaders put some bino's 6' high up a tree so that fooled me....imitating a person watching you through binoculars. It does look very much like a pair of foxes eyes, in particular at 80-100Meters. The range estimation (without using a range-finder) has to be correct within 10% to pass. This is at night, using a standard foxing lamp. Not easy.
    The marksmanship test is very similar to the DSC1 test except for that the target is 4" across, not 6". You get 12 shots from different positions 25-100 yards prone, sitting, sticks, standing unsupported dispatch and realistically have to get 11 of those within the 4" target to pass.
    And yes, I managed to fail the course first time on safety issues, marksmanship and night lamping. However I was given the opportunity to re-sit the failed elements a few weeks later and managed to pass this time.

It has opened my eyes to the safety issues when shooting at night; improved my marksmanship enormously; has been a great help in gaining further shooting permissions, and also had its benefits when seeking reduced restrictive conditions on my FAC.

For more information: http://www.lantra-awards.co.uk/Produ...e-Level-2.aspx

Without wanting to sound negative....

How is this an alternative route to DSC2 ??? It has nothing to do with deer, it is to do with lamping foxes and will open none of the doors DSC 2 does... in fact, the ONLY similarity between this and DSC is the fact that guns are involved!

It is a completely different route, not an alternative
    Last edited by Vipa; 18-05-2012 at 19:09.

Good point - I should have been clearer: It is route, not an alternative. I am now doing the DSC2 - but after some excellent fire-arms & safety training at the LANTRA course. Obviously, there is a massive overlap so I stand by my view that is very useful, weather you are into deer stalking or vermin control.

So the cops will expect this before you get a rifle for foxing?

Hang on Eric , the bloke teaching this course , doesnt run a gunshop does he ?

No, I was given fox on my FAC before I did this course.

No, he doesn't, but he is an advanced firearms instructor involved with training Police, Forces and F.O. people. LANTRA, the awarding body, also doesn't run a gun shop.
    Guys, why this negativity? I am simply trying to be helpful by flagging up that there is an excellent course available which some people may benefit from. If you don't think it is right for you, fine. But it may be right for others.

Oh yeah this is also of interest: There were some professional guys on this course who worked for the RSPB. So the RSPB does control fox then. On the quiet.

SD Regular
    Sounds like an interesting course. Many thanks for flagging it up.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    No, he doesn't, but he is an advanced firearms instructor involved with training Police, Forces and F.O. people. LANTRA, the awarding body, also doesn't run a gun shop.
    Guys, why this negativity? I am simply trying to be helpful by flagging up that there is an excellent course available which some people may benefit from. If you don't think it is right for you, fine. But it may be right for others.

Oh yeah this is also of interest: There were some professional guys on this course who worked for the RSPB. So the RSPB does control fox then. On the quiet.
    Thats the trouble with this site these days, people are getting worried to post about anything because they'll get a load of miserable negative comments back, it seems that everyone else thinks they know better.

It makes me wonder how much longer members, especially newer members like myself, will carry on posting useful information for fear of this.
    ---------------

As LANTRA is a well recognised body for a whole range of training that I have done in the past, personally I was very interested to find out from you Erik, that they are running this course.
    So thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Thats the trouble with this site these days, people are getting worried to post about anything because they'll get a load of miserable negative comments back, it seems that everyone else thinks they know better.

It makes me wonder how much longer members, especially newer members like myself, will carry on posting useful information for fear of this.
    ---------------

As LANTRA is a well recognised body for a whole range of training that I have done in the past, personally I was very interested to find out from you Erik, that they are running this course.
    So thank you for bringing it to my attention.
    +1