hornady sst

As long as you stick within the guidelines for the powders, you should be fine I'm sure. Do you have recipes for each, as they will obviously vary massively!

Enjoy
iain

yep got a few starter loads and max values If I get some decent results ill put them up here somewhere

The 140 SST shoots very well so far with IMR4895 out of my T3. Only done a ladder trial so far but 36.8, 37.1,37.4,37.7gr made one elongated hole and the whole ladder of 12 rounds (bear in mind that's a single round each level so 12 rounds at 0.3gr increase) was only just over an inch. Looking good I think for a sub 0.5 load with the SST once I sort the loads from the ladder. The blue square is approx 3/4"

9d89c31daf4ac716d614dceb5865daad.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. Not much wrong with that!!!

Did you manage to chrono the rounds or are you going to wait until you've done the Joined Up Thinking bit and made a decision on the load?

Good effort so far!
iain

Yep that's the plan, back out on Wednesday. I have one of the magnospeed chrono which is very good but with the light sporter barrel I find it effects groups so planning to have 10 rounds for the 4 weight levels 5 for group and 5 for speed. Will give a good sanity check on the chrono to compare the 2 groups ( I've only put through 5 rounds through it so far so want to confirm my fist findings as it may not have been the chrono)

H4895 seems quite a fast powder for the 6.5x55, let alone with a 140gn bullet. I had similar good groups with 120gn bullets but could not achieve decent velocity before obvious pressure signs. What velocity is your load achieving?
I've found ladder testing results more evident at 300 yards and over.

Back